What’s inside the tank?

Anything Corvair related
Majorv

What’s inside the tank?

Post by Majorv »

We have already decided to replace the gas tank, lines, etc but I wanted to know if there was anything in the tank before we removed it. I got a small remote scope and ran it down into the tank. It’s empty but I think I see rust in one of the photos, and I’m wondering what the colored crystals are along one part of the top of the tank?
Attachments
IMG_0056.png
IMG_0059.png
IMG_0057.png
American Mel

Re: What’s inside the tank?

Post by American Mel »

Where is the rust???
Pictures are a little blurry, but that tank looks okay to me.
Currently own: '66Monza Coupe, '67Monza Vert, '67A/C Monza Sport Sedan
Have owned: '61Monza Coupe, '62Monza Wagon, '63Spyder, '65 Corsa
Loc: WA, One mile south of Canadian border.
flamingchariots

Post by flamingchariots »

How much rust is a signal for re-coating?
I am asking because I got a used tank for my '46 Nash that had light rust inside.
I ran some gas in it, shook it around, and dumped it out a couple times.
Haven't tried to refill it and start it yet, but it was a real challenge installing the tank...

:redface:
TimeMachineParadox

Post by TimeMachineParadox »

It seems to me that a lot of times a tank that looks rusty/really rusty from the inside, but ok from the outside, is just covered in old varnished gas.

The tank from my van looked like it was completely covered in rust inside. A couple treatments with a strong lye solution (very strong draincleaner) took the varnish off and the tank looked almost new.
~Nick
Louisville, Kentucky, US

64 Greenbrier
Gasman63

Post by Gasman63 »

I once used a tow chain to clean the inside of a tank. Remove tank and components. Feed in a chain. Rattle the chain around by shaking tank back snd firth in all directions for a few minutes every day fir a week. Remove chain and wash out tank.

It was a 49 ford pickup so it was easy to remove the tank. Worked out real well. Not sure your tank is that bad off.
1963 Corvair Monza Convertible 140 4 speed.
Colorado Springs :wave:
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

Use electrolysis to clean the rust. It gets rid of all of it and is super cheap and easy. You'll want to clean out the varnish first. I've heard acetone is great at cutting varnish but it is expensive.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
Majorv

Post by Majorv »

American Mel wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:21 pm Where is the rust???
Pictures are a little blurry, but that tank looks okay to me.
Sorry for the blur. The video is too big to post so I tried to pause it to take snapshots. I thought the middle pic showed a little rust.
Did get a pic of the float. It seems to be in good shape. I guess I’m just concerned what the colored flakes along the roof of the tank might be.
Attachments
IMG_0060.png
flamingchariots

Post by flamingchariots »

Back in the late 60's, Sohio (Standard Oil of Ohio) used to put blue dye in their gas. I am sure other companies did too. It didn't do the carburetors any good....

Kevin
Medina, Ohio
Dennis66

Post by Dennis66 »

I've cleaned a few rusty tanks with white vinegar. These were both smaller tanks one being a motorcycle and one a generator. 1 gallon for each tank. After a few days with the vinegar, drain them, flush with a mixture of water and baking soda to neutralize the acid. I then rinsed them with lacquer thinner, and applied Caswell tank liner. Caswell is the best liner I have ever used. Dennis
jimbrandberg

Post by jimbrandberg »

I'm taking a '60 tank to Gas Tank Renu this morning.
For a '61 and up tank it costs almost as much as a new one. In fact I have one on hand and have offered it twice now but both guys opted for a new tank.
Last new tank I bought was like $75 for Fed Ex Ground from MA to MN.
I've got 10 tanks outside too rusty inside to use as is.
I enjoyed Dave Motoheads gas tank revolving with bolts inside machine a few years ago.
A clear plastic inline filter behind the gas tank allows one to monitor how it's going.
davemotohead
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by davemotohead »

I built a gas tank cleaning machine and it works great! Makes a lot of noise but after a hour or so the inside of the tanks are spotless! I filled the tanks full of my can of nuts and bolts and let Er rip! :rafman:

American Mel

Post by American Mel »

:rolling:
Dave, do you run this fantastic machine out at The Ranch, or in town at your house.
If at the house, just what do your neighbors think of all the racket? :rolling:
Currently own: '66Monza Coupe, '67Monza Vert, '67A/C Monza Sport Sedan
Have owned: '61Monza Coupe, '62Monza Wagon, '63Spyder, '65 Corsa
Loc: WA, One mile south of Canadian border.
davemotohead
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by davemotohead »

LOL at the ranch mostly! I built it at my house in town and tested it with Short rampy's gas tank, the house next door on both sides were vacant at the time! Most times one battery pack and the tanks are spotless inside! :guitar:
Majorv

Post by Majorv »

If I go ahead and use the tank I probably should at least replace the fuel pump and lines, correct? I’m thinking to replace the sending unit too (see pic)
Attachments
imagejpeg_0.jpeg
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

Rubber lines yes. If the sending unit and pump work they are much better than anything available now.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
erco

Post by erco »

Your tank is in much better shape than mine was! I saved this tank via chain shaking, Evaporust and Red Kote tank liner but it took way too many hours and ~$90 in materials. I wouldn't do that again.

Jeepers! New tanks are now $250-300, IIRC they were $150 in 2021. Now Red Kote is $40-50/qt, it was $25 just 3 years ago.

Red Kote worked great for me after lots of prep, that's the key. Clark's sells RK and says 1 quart will do 2 coats and that's a bunch of crap. I used 2 qts. First coat: 2 qts went in, 1 qt came out. Second coat: 1 qt went in, nothing came out.

Return to “Corvair Talk”