Corvairs in new movie

Anything Corvair related
Dennis66

Corvairs in new movie

Post by Dennis66 »

I went to see the movie "The Jesus Revolution" last night. Set in the early '70s in California, the movie had numerous vintage cars. At one point, Pastor Chuck Smith's wife drove up in a '61 sedan (thin chrome strip all around the hip molding) EDIT this could have been a '60. A popular feature was the beat up '62 Monza Coupe given to the kid who played Greg Laurie. Dennis
erco

Re: Corvairs in new movie

Post by erco »

I spot the blue EM twice in the trailer, at 0:01 and 1:55.

Frebee

Post by Frebee »

Was the movie any good? Kinda sounds like it's about a cult or something.
Dennis66

Post by Dennis66 »

Depending on what one's definition of "good" is. It was a well made, factual movie. My understanding is there were some minor liberties taken. "Cult", well now we get into people's "religious" opinions. The basic gist of the movie, was when Pastor Chuck Smith invited "Hippies" to attend his church back around 1970. Up until then, most churches were very restrictive in "who" they allowed into church. Chuck made it clear that ANYBODY was welcome, which is in line with the teachings of Christ. True "Christianity", is about freedom. Many "cults" have an indoctrination, and often are far from free. Sadly, there are also still many churches that are exclusionary, and also full of rules and restrictions. Dennis
erco

Post by erco »

These days, discussing religion & politics online is ALMOST as dangerous as siding with EM vs LM, points vs Pertronix, and what's the best oil to use. :chevy: :chevy: :chevy:
Frebee

Post by Frebee »

Dennis66 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:12 pm Depending on what one's definition of "good" is. It was a well made, factual movie. My understanding is there were some minor liberties taken. "Cult", well now we get into people's "religious" opinions. The basic gist of the movie, was when Pastor Chuck Smith invited "Hippies" to attend his church back around 1970. Up until then, most churches were very restrictive in "who" they allowed into church. Chuck made it clear that ANYBODY was welcome, which is in line with the teachings of Christ. True "Christianity", is about freedom. Many "cults" have an indoctrination, and often are far from free. Sadly, there are also still many churches that are exclusionary, and also full of rules and restrictions. Dennis
That doesn't sound too bad. I didn't mean to get into any sort of religious implications or anything - I don't have a particular view or judgement of anyone's religious or nonreligious beliefs. Of course, you touch any subject like that now days and people want to draw firm lines around how what they believe is right and what you believe is wrong. Not my horse race. Seems like it could be an interesting watch though. Thanks for the summary.
Dennis66

Post by Dennis66 »

Thank you. Honestly, my thoughts were "Cool. It features a Corvair". (actually two). Realistically, we keep our common interests here to ... Corvairs. I've had situations where friends were on opposite ends of the spectrum. The one guy said "I'm afraid my opinions might offend you". My reply was "our common interest is (airplanes in that context), beyond that, we're friends". Viva Corvair! Enjoy the movie if you're so inclined. Dennis
miles71

Post by miles71 »

The HBO Series "Julia", takes place in Boston in the year 1963 for Season-1 {2022}.
In many scenes you will see a 1964 Corvair-500 "faded blue color 2-door", plate N91-100, red background with white letters.
Sometimes this Corvair will be driving as a general background car and other times just a parked car.

Its now March-2023, Season-2 is in the "can", and should be broadcast in May 2023.
I have no idea if you will see the Corvair in Season-2, but it was parked inside the studio building during the filming of Season-2.

I bought my 63 Corvair-500, to be used as a movie Background car for Boston films shooting in the 60's and 70's.
As a general rule, the movies will hire cars up to 12 years older than the movie "setting" year.
Example: If the movie setting year is 1972, the studio will hire background cars from 1960 - 1972, to be used in the film.
As soon as I bought the car, I added it to my movie resume (along with my other old cars).
I immediately got a call for the series, but they did not want my Corvair!
They only wanted me. I had not seen all of the episodes and I did not know the already had a Corvair on set.

I am thinking now maybe I should of bought that 62 Thunderbird ;)
erco

Post by erco »

Edit: Added pic!

A good problem to have, Miles!

I met a guy named Roman near LA who was into Zeppelins, just like me. Went to see his amazing collection of Hindenburg girders, china, etc. Every room of his little stucco house in Reseda CA was crammed with millions of dollars of various museum-quality collectibles. He had a room for WW1, WW2, airships, Dodgers, Titanic, vintage radio & electronics, etc. I loved everything he had. I jokingly asked if he had a Corvair in his garage to make this the perfect day. He said YES. He had owned an unrestored EM convertible which he named "Claire". He works in the movie industry, and someone offered to paint the car if they'd let them use it in some upcoming movie. He got a beautiful car back with a box of chocolates in the back seat. Yes, the movie was Forrest Gump, car in a brief rainy scene when Forrest punches some guy making out with Jenny.

CAM02754.jpg

Return to “Corvair Talk”