Vermont Titles

Anything Corvair related
glecharles

Vermont Titles

Post by glecharles »

Have you ever titled a car through Vermont because you only had a bill of sale—no previous title was available—and then transferred that VT title to your home state? Apparently Vermont is the only state that honors a bill of sale in lieu of title for old cars, and I've heard it's a common workaround for car collectors.

https://dmv.vermont.gov/tax-title/vehicle-title
1965 Corvair Monza 110, Sport Sedan w/ Powerglide | New Jersey
glecharles

Re: Vermont Titles

Post by glecharles »

Update: The Vermont route worked with some help from CarTitles.com: https://cartitles.com/product/vermont-r ... plication/

It took several weeks (over the holidays) for Vermont to process the application and send me their registration and plates, and then another few weeks to get an NJMVC appointment to finally get registered, and a new title, here. As of today, I'm finally all set.

'65 Monza Sedan, Northern NJ — Sent from my moto g(7) using Corvair Forum mobile app

joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

Thanks for the update!
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
gbullman

Post by gbullman »

Learn something new every day! Had never heard that was possible before.

Agree with you that getting an appointment for NJ DMV is a pain but once there transferring the PA title to me went smoothly.
Gary Bullman
66 Corsa Convertible
glecharles

Post by glecharles »

To clarify, Vermont let's you REGISTER your car with just a bill of sale; they don't issue titles to anyone. NJ honors that registration along with your bill of sale and pencil tracing or picture of your VIN, and then issues you a new title, plates and registration.

As a bonus, it means I got to keep the original NJ title from its first owner as a souvenir!
1269675647.jpeg
'65 Monza Sedan, Northern NJ | Sent from my SM-T290 using Corvair Forum mobile app

gbullman

Post by gbullman »

I’m pretty sure my car had spent its entire life before me titled and registered in PA. Yet the NJ DMV clerk was surprised when he entered the VIN and some of the information pre-populated.

How did you end up in possession of the original title?
Gary Bullman
66 Corsa Convertible
glecharles

Post by glecharles »

It was part of an estate sale a couple of years ago. The guy who bought the estate immediately flipped the car to a friend of his (who was into cars but not specifically Corvairs), and neither of them registered it, thinking its eventual owner would want the original as a souvenir. They didn't count on the hassle that created, but it ultimately worked out okay for me.

'65 Monza Sedan, Northern NJ — Sent from my moto g(7) using Corvair Forum mobile app

Return to “Corvair Talk”