Fan Belt Fun

Anything Corvair related
Storm

Fan Belt Fun

Post by Storm »

This was on my 64

Man.... Changing a fan belt in the dark on I-76 was fun! I noticed that semis would move over to the left lane, but cars & trucks nope......
Note to self, carry a flashlight in my toolkit. Also add a new fan belt to the tool kit too!

*Suggestion to GM for future Corvair production, please make it so I don't need to take out my air filter assembly & spare tire to be able to change my belt. (probably could have done it with it but.....)

Anyway overall not bad & took about 10 minutes.

I heard a pop & then noticed the temp light & pulled over immediately! So hopefully no harm to the engine.

Takeway from this, carry a toolkit, spare fan belt, & a flashlight!!!!!

-Storm

Kyle Storm

1964 Corvair Monza/110hp/4 Speed
1961 Corvair Lakewood/80hp/3 Speed

-Kyle Storm

1964 Corvair Monza Coupe 110/4spd
1964 Corvair Monza 4 Door 110/Automatic A/C
1961 Corvair Lakewood 500 85/3spd (restoring)
1961 Corvair Greenbrier 110/4spd (sold)
erco

Re: Fan Belt Fun

Post by erco »

Glad your story ended happily! Most Corvair owners have roadside repair stories, some happier than others.

Yes to carrying a toolkit, spare fan belt, & a flashlight at all times in an older car. SEVERAL lights (also reflectors), they are cheap these days. Even those Harbor Freight freebie\ lights are useful in an emergency. I just bought this cordless rechargeable work light for $10 at WM. Super bright and useful, would be a great thing to have in the car. Hanging hook and several magnets to hold in place. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hyper-Tough- ... /254964491

I just got the emergency flashers working on my '67. They never worked in the 40 years I've owned the car.
terribleted

Re: Fan Belt Fun

Post by terribleted »

Yeah, take lots of spares. Do not worry if you have a spare that item will almost never fail it will be something else instead. At least that has been my experience:)
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia

Return to “Corvair Talk”