LM windshield...where to buy one in Florida?

Anything Corvair related
scooperman

LM windshield...where to buy one in Florida?

Post by scooperman »

Repair continues and will be at the point of installing glass soon. Clark's says they have been advised that big box shipping will be real expensive through Q1 next year so I am asking around for local sources, I am at the north end of Palm Beach County so something in south Florida would be best but I have driven as far as Daytona to get used Corvair parts.
Some people tell me to just call a local auto glass installer and let them find me some glass, some say don't ever do that because new windshields are different than original. I am considering DIY install, I have a neighbor that could help me install it, he is finishing up his resto-rod Nomad, he and a friend did that windshield install a week ago and that is a difficult one, the Vair is easy by comparison. TIA for suggestions.

erco

Re: LM windshield...where to buy one in Florida?

Post by erco »

It's been 30 years since I did mine, so I can't comment on current availability/compatability. But when I lived in Jupiter FL, I just called the local auto glass shop and they got me one ($80 IIRC), the only question was tinted vs untinted. Even with no experience, it was a simple matter to R&R (you'll want another person or two to help) with adhesive rope sealer.

terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Generally pretty common. Call some local auto glass suppliers first.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia

scooperman

Post by scooperman »

OK, that's helpful input, thanks. Still a couple of weeks work before I get to glass install.

terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Find one now. If it has to be ordered in it might take a couple weeks to get there.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia

66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

A few years back there was an active discussion on CCF about windshields. The LM style was THEN made by companies in China and S. America. The windshields from S.America were considered to be a better quality.

Be aware that the new LM windshields are usually slightly smaller in width, height, and thickness. Best to do a test fit before using using the adheasive.

The old "bead" sealer is still made by 3M. Some prefer the new urethane because it lets you move the windshield a little before it sets up, but being softer it's harder to control the glass depth. I use the bead, but install it in the frame and leave the paper film on the side the glass touches so I can do a test fit and adjust the bead. Then remove the paper and install glass. Keep in mind once the glass touches the adheasive bead it will not move. Get it right the first time or you will be cutting it out. I use a buddy to help and have alignment marks to guide us.

Return to “Corvair Talk”