Gas tank removal, Dave motto head.

Anything Corvair related
Corsa bill

Gas tank removal, Dave motto head.

Post by Corsa bill »

I’m thinking about removing my gas tank. Dave motto head has a YouTube video on it but he has the ft.end out. I’ve had the ft end out and I don’t want to take it out again. How hard is it with the ft. End in the car and Dave make sure to add your picture of yourself if you reply to my post. Just love looking at your mug.😊
erco

Re: Gas tank removal, Dave motto head.

Post by erco »

I'm also about to yank mine from my '67. From what I have gathered, it is possible to leave the crossmember & the rest in, but the sway bay (oops, stabilizer bar, according to Clark;s) must be removed. Jack the front WAY up before you start, and have the replacement big rubber grommet and oddball size fuel filler hose & clamps ready.

Optional/may need: Anti-squeak material on topof tank, tank strap, J-bolts and nuts, 5/16" fuel line.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Dave Motohead for President.jpg
Fuel Tank Removal & Installation
:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=5779

:link: http://corvaircenter.com/phorum/read.php?1,1044171
So I ran into this guy in California who said he knew something about Corvairs..smiling bouncing smiley
Posted by: Ratt643 ()
Date: September 10, 2019 10:22PM

Met the man, the myth, the legend today! Was fortunate enough to get to meet
Davemotohead and get to visit for a couple of hours! Great guy and a pleasure to sit and talk with!
Didnt have any flannel to were but here is a pic anyway!

1964 Monza Coupe
1965 Corsa 140
1967 Monza Coupe

Maryville, TN
U.S. 129 The"Tail Of The Dragon"
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

I just pulled the tank on my 66 Corsa to replace the fill tube connector and vent hoses that lasted about 5 years. Arggg!!

Sway bar has to come out but not the crossmember. Pay close attention now before you pull it and take a few photos to understand the best way to orient the clamps because you will need to have the hoses and clamps staged in place and make the final connections as the tank goes back in to meet the fill neck assembly . The grommet around the filler neck inside the fuel door must be removed to help adjust the connections. I attached the vent hose to the tank tightly and the fill tube connector to the fill neck tightly and then the other two clamps are tightened in place. I put the fill neck in place and then as the tank goes in I adjust and wiggle to get the parts slipped together. After the hoses are together but before tightening the hose clamps, I make sure the tank is fully up and held securely and then fine tune the fit of the fill neck before reaching in with long extensions to tighten the hose clamps. If the crossmember is out you can do all of this easily but that is a whole lot more work. To reinstall the filler neck grommet at the fuel door, use dish soap the help pop it back in place.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
erco

Post by erco »

Amen, Brother Brad.

Dave Motohead is DEF the smartest choice for PotUS!
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

I checked, and there are quite a few obscure candidates, including Kanye West, who are on state ballots somewhere in the country. See Minor party and independent candidates for the 2020 United States presidential election
:link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minor_par ... l_election. Image

I would consider President Trump first, followed by Dave Motohead, and then the remaining "also rans" somewhat less worthy of consideration. :doh: :rolling: ::-):
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Corsa bill

Post by Corsa bill »

Ok, I pulled the tank. I didn’t take off the stabilizer bar. I just unbolted it and Swung it down. That seemed to work fine taking the tank out. Had it cleansed at a Radiator shop waiting for a new sending unit and then I’ll reinstall it. Hope it goes in smooth.
Oh, and Dave in your video on the tank removal you leave the filler neck on and Wiggle it out. That didn’t work for me. You must be a really tuff guy.
erco

Post by erco »

Nice, I hope to get to that in the next few days. Do you plan to seal the tank with POR-15 or Redkote?

I posted about a cheap sender on Ebay at viewtopic.php?p=111685#p111685.

BTW, how much did the radiator shop charge you to clean it out? I couldn't even find a radshop when I needed to fix a radiator last year. Had to buy a new one. :td:
Corsa bill

Post by Corsa bill »

Hello Dave
They’re charging me a $100 to clean it. It was really clean. Just a small amount of rush on the top of the tank. It’d probably another $80 if I wanted it coated but said that he didn’t think it was necessary
erco

Post by erco »

erco

Post by erco »

A good work day. Just a few hours actually, after a late start. Finished some interior work and got my '67 up on jackstands in prep for tank removal tomorrow. I sprayed some Liquid Wrench on all the well-rusted nuts & bolts (tank & swaybar) to soak in overnight to do battle tomorrow. But after a few minutes, I couldn't resist twisting them a bit and they all loosened right up! No fight, no rounded nuts or broken bolts. The Corvair gods smiled upon me and I even had a nice sunset. Wish all days went this well.
Attachments
sunsetsmall.jpg
doug6423

Post by doug6423 »

Erco: Are you going with a new tank?

I did on my ‘65 when I got it 4 years ago. And got the budget sender from eBay. So far no problems. The sender is not perfectly on the mark but I’m ok with that since I’m not the type of person that drives around on empty. [emoji851]

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
65 Monza
Cincinnati, OH
erco

Post by erco »

No, I think my tank is good Im planning to Red Kote it.
erco

Post by erco »

OK, there's some serious rust in there! Tank is solid otherwise. Gonna chain/shake/rinse/repeat and let sit with some Evapo Rust in various orientations before Red Koting.

Tank still had exactly 5 gallons inside, could not remove, outlet was clogged. Added 30 lbs to tank weight, was a bear to wrestle that out. I cut the 1/2" fuel line vent hose. Amazingly, the large ORIGINAL rubber filler hose neck is in perfect shape, still pliable and looks new. Somebody here said their new one rotted in 5 years... maybe rubber was better back then.

NOW WHAT DO I DO WITH A 5-GALLON BUCKET OF OLD GAS?

My old/new tank floats are in opposite orientations... does it matter? Looks like my new one matches Clark's photo.

And my luck changed today, I did break a tank J bolt. :(
Attachments
IMG_1560[1].JPG
IMG_1564[1].JPG
IMG_1555[1].JPG
erco

Post by erco »

Slow but steady progress on my tank, this will be a 10-day process allowing drying time. Got lots of rust out shaking with a big chain inside. Now using 2 gallons of Evapo-Rust inside, leaving it in various orientations for a day at a time to let the E-R do its thing.

Clark's website says a single quart of Red Kote will seal a tank, but I don't believe it. http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... ow_page=66
No way one quart can give 100% coverage with all those high/low corrugations, nooks & crannies. I ordered a second quart. I'm sure there will be plenty leftover after 2 coats, but I'm convinced it's necessary.

A gallon of EvapoRust: $15 from Pep Boys if you order online & pick up in store.
A quart of Red Kote is $25 shipped from https://www.ebay.com/itm/283978932695

Clark's sells 3 rubber corks to close the tank openings during sealing, but I rolled my own. My buddy 3D printed a 1-1/4" plug for the filler, a AAA battery with some electrical tape presses tightly into the vent tube, and I hacked my old sender down to fill that hole. No leaks so far.

BTW NAPA auto parts selles the lock ring & O ring for $7: https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/STPLO02
erco

Post by erco »

Sister Sludge: My rusty, crusty tank

[share_youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYs5wGjH1A4[/share_youtube]

Return to “Corvair Talk”