Gas tank removal, Dave motto head.

Anything Corvair related
erco

Re: Gas tank removal, Dave motto head.

Post by erco »

Crazy: I'm seriously considering reusing my 50 year old rubber filler tube. It's just as pliable as the new part from Clark's and it has a proven history.

Edit: it was azdave earlier in this thread who said his replacement didn't last 5 years. @azdave: Was that a Clark's part? I hope Cal isn't selling bum parts just to guarantee future business.

Last edited by erco on Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

I would for sure. New rubber parts are very poor quality compared to the old stuff.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
doug6423

Post by doug6423 »

Erco: Clark’s takes care of their customers. Don’t worry about buying parts from them

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
65 Monza
Cincinnati, OH
erco

Post by erco »

Fear not, I've been flying Clark's colors longer than many. I just got a huge order in from Clark's and I've given them many thouSand$ of Corvair dollars, ever since I got my car in 1980. Camshaft, TRW forged pistons, connecting rods, rings, lifters, seals, carb kits, fuzzies, rocker arms, pushrods, timing gears, and more than a few viton O-rings for starters...

But I don't like this particular hose. Also those "Total Seal" piston rings were also junk many moons ago. Never seated.
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

What Viton o-rings do starters use?
Northlake, TX
erco

Post by erco »

On the solenoid's left-hand metric bleed valve, natch. :)
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

Ah. I'll have to order some. I can just call Clark's and ask for them right?
Northlake, TX
erco

Post by erco »

thumbsup.jpg
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

erco wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:38 pm @azdave: Was that a Clark's part? I hope Cal isn't selling bum parts just to guarantee future business.
The filler tube connector hose that failed me was definitely a section of radiator hose. The new hose in your photo looks just like what I had.I found yet another one just like it in my parts stash and it is marked as a coolant hose and going in the trash. I think my failed part came from a vendor at the Palm Springs swap some years ago.

The new hose I purchased locally was by Gates and clearly marked as fuel hose. It is used in the RV market around here in longer lengths the get the fill tube connected to the gas tank. The Gates #24702 1-3/8" ID hose was a loose fit on the tubes but still worked perfect when the clamp was snugged. One foot of that will do three Corvairs.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
Onryasever

Post by Onryasever »

Just another reference point for others putting a tank back in. I tightened both clamps on the small hose with tank on the floor and tightened the large hose on the filler tube and left it loose on the tank. Wrestled tank up while buddy guided the filler tube through wheel well. The large hose does pull away from the tank but able to reach up from underneath and get it back on. Then 3 wobbly extensions to tighten the last large clamp before final tank strap tightening. Lastly installed the rubber filler neck grommet on the fender, sending unit and sway bar.

This was on 65 convertible with suspension in place.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Corvair Forum mobile app

Return to “Corvair Talk”