Gas tank removal, Dave motto head.

Anything Corvair related
Corsa bill

Gas tank removal, Dave motto head.

Post by Corsa bill »

I’m thinking about removing my gas tank. Dave motto head has a YouTube video on it but he has the ft.end out. I’ve had the ft end out and I don’t want to take it out again. How hard is it with the ft. End in the car and Dave make sure to add your picture of yourself if you reply to my post. Just love looking at your mug.😊

erco

Re: Gas tank removal, Dave motto head.

Post by erco »

I'm also about to yank mine from my '67. From what I have gathered, it is possible to leave the crossmember & the rest in, but the sway bay (oops, stabilizer bar, according to Clark;s) must be removed. Jack the front WAY up before you start, and have the replacement big rubber grommet and oddball size fuel filler hose & clamps ready.

Optional/may need: Anti-squeak material on topof tank, tank strap, J-bolts and nuts, 5/16" fuel line.

bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Dave Motohead for President.jpg
Fuel Tank Removal & Installation
:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=5779

:link: http://corvaircenter.com/phorum/read.php?1,1044171
So I ran into this guy in California who said he knew something about Corvairs..smiling bouncing smiley
Posted by: Ratt643 ()
Date: September 10, 2019 10:22PM

Met the man, the myth, the legend today! Was fortunate enough to get to meet
Davemotohead and get to visit for a couple of hours! Great guy and a pleasure to sit and talk with!
Didnt have any flannel to were but here is a pic anyway!

1964 Monza Coupe
1965 Corsa 140
1967 Monza Coupe

Maryville, TN
U.S. 129 The"Tail Of The Dragon"
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible

azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

I just pulled the tank on my 66 Corsa to replace the fill tube connector and vent hoses that lasted about 5 years. Arggg!!

Sway bar has to come out but not the crossmember. Pay close attention now before you pull it and take a few photos to understand the best way to orient the clamps because you will need to have the hoses and clamps staged in place and make the final connections as the tank goes back in to meet the fill neck assembly . The grommet around the filler neck inside the fuel door must be removed to help adjust the connections. I attached the vent hose to the tank tightly and the fill tube connector to the fill neck tightly and then the other two clamps are tightened in place. I put the fill neck in place and then as the tank goes in I adjust and wiggle to get the parts slipped together. After the hoses are together but before tightening the hose clamps, I make sure the tank is fully up and held securely and then fine tune the fit of the fill neck before reaching in with long extensions to tighten the hose clamps. If the crossmember is out you can do all of this easily but that is a whole lot more work. To reinstall the filler neck grommet at the fuel door, use dish soap the help pop it back in place.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ
65 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4 w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza Convertible 110/4
66 Monza Convertible 140/4
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5

erco

Post by erco »

Amen, Brother Brad.

Dave Motohead is DEF the smartest choice for PotUS!

bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

I checked, and there are quite a few obscure candidates, including Kanye West, who are on state ballots somewhere in the country. See Minor party and independent candidates for the 2020 United States presidential election
:link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minor_par ... l_election. Image

I would consider President Trump first, followed by Dave Motohead, and then the remaining "also rans" somewhat less worthy of consideration. :doh: :rolling: ::-):
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible

Corsa bill

Post by Corsa bill »

Ok, I pulled the tank. I didn’t take off the stabilizer bar. I just unbolted it and Swung it down. That seemed to work fine taking the tank out. Had it cleansed at a Radiator shop waiting for a new sending unit and then I’ll reinstall it. Hope it goes in smooth.
Oh, and Dave in your video on the tank removal you leave the filler neck on and Wiggle it out. That didn’t work for me. You must be a really tuff guy.

Return to “Corvair Talk”