3rd time is the charm

Anything Corvair related
61SuperMonza

3rd time is the charm

Post by 61SuperMonza »

So I got a little ahead of myself the other day. I thought my hot valve adjustment went great and the next day I was humbled. It was as if I had gotten nowhere. It was better but not like when I finished the day before. So I went at it again and got it sounding great and I was happy but this time I left the valve adjusting covers on just it case. The next day started it again and I had more noise. It was down to 2 valves, and after the 3rd time I have it. They were both ond the muffler bank (turbo engine). Muffler side is a pain. Very pleased with the results. The next valve adjustment will be cold. Here's a picture of my babe. Now she sounds as good as she looks.
20200625_204253.jpg
First corvair in 1985
Have owned 4 corvairs since
65 Corsa coupe 180 turbo
66 Monza coupe 110 PG
66 Monza coupe 140 PG
61 Monza club coupe w/ 150 turbo
Anchorage,AK
doug6423

Re: 3rd time is the charm

Post by doug6423 »

Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
65 Monza
Cincinnati, OH
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:think: I might guess that some of the hydraulic lifter pistons/bores have some chemical deposit buildup in them which perhaps is affecting the valve adjustment(s) — sometimes changing the outcome the next day as the engine operation and oil circulation performs a little "self cleaning" action. Just a suggestion: Perhaps a cleaning product like Marvel Mystery Oil will help to remove deposits from your hydraulic lifters.
Marvel Mystery Lubricating Oil is safe for catalytic converters and oxygen sensors. Added to gas it cleans and lubricates fuel injectors and carburetors, improves gasoline mileage, extends spark plug life, reduces and prevents varnish and gum build-up.

When using it as a supplement to your engine oil, Marvel Mystery Oil should be added at every oil change. Marvel Mystery Oil is a petroleum-based product designed to be used as an additive in either your engine or fuel lines. Depending on your needs, it's available in 16-ounce, 32-ounce, one-gallon, five-gallon or 55-gallon containers and can be used in conjunction with synthetic blend and full-synthetic oil products. It also can be used in gasoline or diesel engines. Marvel Mystery Oil enhances the lubrication of your vehicle's engine and fuel system, which can lead to a longer lifespan of those components.

At the next oil/filter change, subtract one quart from the amount of engine oil and replace it with one quart of Marvel Mystery Lubricating Oil.

:link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0725JQXKS?ta ... scomp&th=1
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

What your are describing is unusual. What was your "hot" valve adjustment procedure? The consensus is to adjust 1/2 turn down slowly AFTER the clicking stops. It's difficult to hear the valves while adjusting them unless the muffler is installed, tough to do with a Turbo or single exhaust car.

While adjusting the valves with a warm running engine can be work, I find it's foolproof when done correctly (exhaust muffled). The "cold" adjustment process takes an experienced person to do it correctly. It's very easy to be off on the cold adjustment.
61SuperMonza

Post by 61SuperMonza »

I used the method you described. The first time I used a 1/4 turn of preload. When I went back I used a 1/2 turn. As stated the muffler was my issue. Its sorted out now.
First corvair in 1985
Have owned 4 corvairs since
65 Corsa coupe 180 turbo
66 Monza coupe 110 PG
66 Monza coupe 140 PG
61 Monza club coupe w/ 150 turbo
Anchorage,AK

Return to “Corvair Talk”