1990 CORSA Convention Memories

Anything Corvair related
erco

1990 CORSA Convention Memories

Post by erco »

True/funny/embarassing stories from the 1990 CORSA convention in Ontario CA. I live in Torrance CA, about 60 miles away. Took my 1960 coupe with high hopes to win the EconoRun. I had tweaked the motor and had several tricks to get well over 30 MPG. Adjusted the valves the night before leaving to run them a little looser. Seemed like a good idea at the time. Got there fine, turns out I had to do the Road Rally course just to get to the start of the EconoRun, which finished in Ontario. Went up some steep hills on the rally course and my engine began making strange sounds which got worse, so I stopped and got towed on the convention-supplied flatbed back to Ontario. No Econorun for me. Everyone said I dropped a valve seat, so I was stuck in Ontario, 60 miles from home. Or was I?

Turns out the convention had a luau that night (Saturday?) in Redondo Beach, adjacent to my hometown. The convention-supplied towtruck was coming so I got a free ride to my house, just 2 miles from the luau! I was so grateful, after getting home I grabbed a dozen sweatshirts to take to the luau to loan to people who were not prepared for chilly summer beach nights. Fun night.

After the luau I went home to check out my car. Guess what? I had not dropped a valve seat, just two rocker nuts had backed way off. Retightened them and the car purred again. Dumb idea I had to loosen the valves two nights prior.

So I drove the '60 back to Ontario the next morning and had a great time. At the convention closing, I walked through the swap meet. Some guy had a pair of 1960 90-degree air hoses, air cleaner to carbs. Mine were fine so and I really didn't need them, so I made the guy an end-of-day lowball offer, which he accepted. He also agreed to accept my check. SUPER nice guy. I asked "who should I make the check out to?"

He answered, "Tom. Tom Keosababian"...

Yes, THAT Tom Keosababian. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKZa7TNuFtI

(slink away embarrassed) :redface: :redface: :redface:

Return to “Corvair Talk”