Value of 1966 coupe project

Anything Corvair related
alexl

Value of 1966 coupe project

Post by alexl »

Hey ya'll. I'm nee here and new to corvairs but am looking at a potential project here locally, but dont really know how much I should be offering. Car is fairly solid but does have some midwestern rust. The driver rear lower quarter panel is pretty much gone, a few wheel arches need attention and small spots here and there that would be expected. The floors have been replaced by a previous owner but he did not have a welder, these are riveted and screwed in so would likely plan on redoing that. The floor of the trunk also needs replaced. The rockers appear very solid and the undercarriage appears good though I do expect there are some hidden issues.

Car was originally a 110/PGA, but a 140 has been installed. Engine runs, but does not idle, needs a tune up. Car does have new tires and a good battery.

Anyone want to give me a sanity check on value?

Any opinions on value?
Screenshot_20200412-175828_Facebook.jpg
joelsplace

Re: Value of 1966 coupe project

Post by joelsplace »

It depends on your location and how quickly you want a car. I wouldn't give more than $500 and that is mainly because of the new tires. You should learn to read the date code and check it. I've seen a lot of "new" tires that were 10 years old. If they are more than 5 years old deduct $200.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
alexl

Post by alexl »

sounds like i may be better off passing. Best i was able to negotiate was $1500.
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

If it had a rust free body it would be worth that. I would pass. You'll find something much better. Keep saving money and spend a little more if you can. It is always much cheaper to spend more for a nicer car initially than spend the money to fix it up. If you want to do the work then by all means go for it but it will cost far more.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX

Return to “Corvair Talk”