Corvair Heater Revisited again

Anything Corvair related
TomReinmueller

Post by TomReinmueller »

58 years later and still no replacement for the Corvair Direct heating system( not including gas heater)! Any new ideas of late? Any new electric solutions? Anyone anywhere have a modern solution to this? LoL! :banghead: Up to this date there doesn't seem to be an adequate electric heater system for cold regions like where I live in Toronto...(average winter Temp around -5 degrees Celsius )....brrrrrrr. Any and all ideas will be most warmly accepted! LoL!!
skipvair

Post by skipvair »

I have HEARD that there is a direct replacement fan with higher speed/volume. Off a later Chev. Any comments from anyone? Want the same answer regarding the fan for my weak A/C system in Georgia summers

Are the fans the same?
Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
Frank Metasavage

65 Corsa 140 4 speed with Weber IDAs
66 Corsa 140 4 speed Stock
66vairguy

Re: Corvair Heater Revisited again

Post by 66vairguy »

First I'm not sure why someone would drive a "hobby" car in the Winter in Toronto. When I lived in cold Winter climates I kept my nice old car in the garage all Winter and drove a "beater" in the cold and slush. My buddies did the same thing. Winters are very hard on old cars.

That said the stock Corvair heater works quite well if all is cleaned and repaired, however getting everything in proper order is a lot of work.

If you just like driving an old Corvair as a "beater" in the Winter then you might consider installing an aftermarket gasoline heater sold for trucks.
Vairamp

Post by Vairamp »

? Has anyone used a heat exchanger, as is used in residential, heating systems? You have hot water line (OIL in this case) go through plates which heat up another liquid (water with antifreeze). This antifreeze line gets plumbed either directly to the passenger cabin, into a box with a “radiator” and a fan or into the air distribution box of a Corvair with a small “radiator”.

66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Vairamp wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:42 pm ? Has anyone used a heat exchanger, as is used in residential, heating systems? You have hot water line (OIL in this case) go through plates which heat up another liquid (water with antifreeze). This antifreeze line gets plumbed either directly to the passenger cabin, into a box with a “radiator” and a fan or into the air distribution box of a Corvair with a small “radiator”.

Been talked about before - not very efficient. Multiple problems.
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

I just posted about a Chinese clone of a wabasto heater a few weeks ago. Go for it!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

-Steve
1961 Corvair 700 Sedan (80hp 3spd Gasoline Heat)
Alfred B.

Post by Alfred B. »

Absolutely. I started being interested in corvairs and their heater problem back this past September and once I had a plan I found me a couple of cheap EM corvairs to work with. Of course my project to resolve the heater has been slow. not because of the design but I am having to get these cars to where they can be driven safely. I took my 64 convertible heater out and used it to develop a new heater with an intercooler core design. Allowing the hot air from the engine to be seperate from the passenger compartment. My convertible was just the first one I got and I have considered it a template for the design. The convertible does not need the heater in the summer, but a challenge to heat in the winter, the other is a coupe that has much rust but was pretty and very cheap. I will need to do a lot more work on both before I can put either on the road. I have made a corrugated plastic model of the design that would incorporate the largest intercooler core I could get for that space and to allow the air to recirculate back to the engine to maintain temperature in the winter as well as recirculate the passenger compartment air without the steam bath from the slightest puddle. So yes I am itching to get this done but I am not a spring chicken or rich. My determination has led me to pursue this and I hope I can get this done before I am physically unable to complete it. I have worked hard on the project but after the past week I see now it will be a while before I can get to building the thing I bought the cars to build. Partly because of my health and the other is I am living off of just soc. sec. This is a hobby and I wanted to build this so everyone could benefit from it. I just wanted to be the first. Now everyone will get their design built before me. I suppose surely others have proposed similar ways to achieve the same end. All my build design, stage by stage is on a smartphone that I am using to document the project with and the windows quit letting me access them to post but I will figure it out especially when I have a running car. Up until now I had never been close to one or touched one until this convertible and coupe. I did do extensive research before I began. I wish I could have been able to afford one that was ready for the idea to be the first to have it installed. I am not wanting to start a retrofit industry with my idea. I just want to prove the idea is valid. I will post progress once I finally get one on the road. I could do the heater rather quickly. It is the cars that are not ready. Please wish me luck. I will need it to see this through :pray: :think: {{:>)
Attachments
DSC03880.JPG
DSC03883.JPG
DSC03880.JPG
DSC03882.JPG
DSC03883.JPG
49213252_381713685929297_846351484957229056_n.jpg
49711601_1846262268815981_1294683875238215680_n.jpg
49840148_2280496438937448_6405416295705083904_n.jpg
It is not what you know.
It is what you do with what you know.
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

When I rebuilt my Corvair I got rid of all the oil leaks, fixed the air leaks in the heating system, installed working thermostats.

My Corvair heater work better, and faster, than a lot of the water pumper cars I've owned.
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

Once you have the oil leaks fixed Corvair heaters are better than any I've experienced.
I've never had much trouble with the steam issue but I have heard about it.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

joelsplace wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 9:52 am Once you have the oil leaks fixed Corvair heaters are better than any I've experienced.
I've never had much trouble with the steam issue but I have heard about it.
Yes driving in rain or slush can cause steam from the heater IF you don't have the lower shroud seals in place. Clark's sells them. I didn't use them because I don't drive my Corvair in the rain.
Alfred B.

Post by Alfred B. »

I do not have an issue with a clean engine. My issue surrounds isolating the air in the cabin so when going through dust or smoke you can opt out of the fresh air only option in favor of recirculating cabin heat while unused heat be allowed back to the engine, mixed and go out the back and vented out the thermostatic gates as designed. I just want that and the other through a real heat exchanger instead of a fresh only mixer box. My goal is to have a controllable atmosphere. It is also a goal that when shown, would be a job within everyone's ability. That is my goal.
The 1960 caveman is a really great workbed for designing a heater using an air to air heat exchanger as a part of the whole HVAC car system and not use a gasoline heater. Please give me your thoughts on this topic. I plan to work toward that end and some may want to give it a shot. I am just starting on my journey. I wanted to first start with a 1960 but it just has not worked out but who knows, maybe one day :think: . I just want some protection driving past a field being plowed and all that dust forced in your lungs.
I am loving every minute so far in my journey with my corvairs. I have only been overwhelmed in that I want to get more done. I must say, having a coupe and convertible I never get bored. Funny thing the coupe will be maintaining it's direct air heater as an example and the Convertible will have a new heater. Short of a van it is a good challenge for achieving my goal. Each day I re evaluate my concerns on the two and a map is emerging. I am quite open to all considerations you may have as I begin the process. When something is ready I will try to do the photo essay thing. After all, I want any worthwhile ideas on any corvair issue to be for each of us with the evaluation process. This would be helpful for future corvair enthusiast. For me that is what this journey is all about!{{:>)
It is not what you know.
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

You are starting in a better place. The '60 is so different your system designed for it probably wouldn't fit anything else.
It shouldn't be a problem making the same unit fit '61-'64.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
Alfred B.

Post by Alfred B. »

joelsplace wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 7:41 pm You are starting in a better place. The '60 is so different your system designed for it probably wouldn't fit anything else.
It shouldn't be a problem making the same unit fit '61-'64.
The desire for the caveman year was that it offered more interior space to develop the heater idea with a rear ac but once I got this convertible I took out the unipac and did the initial heater design. It will fit all 61-64 versions. I will be a while yet in my efforts. I am clearing all drain channels and such in preparation for a coat of POR15. I have found that the last owner painted virtually all surfaces that could be reached with the stuff pretty good, to include the body's exterior and interior but there are drain passages worth improving and that is where I am currently. All the heater channels look good but have a rust patina so I will do my best to get all up in there with the rotary brush I will be using. Hoping to get the passages prepared and rinsed good before our 4 day 100+degree days ahead at the end of the week. It will be good drying conditions and then I will be ready to carefully apply the POR15 once it is absolutely bone dry. When done I will be so happy. I can shift my attention to replacing the seal in the torque converter and do a final dry fit of the unipac to check for clearances against the model for the heater replacement then I should be close to driving it. I am in no hurry just anxious as I birth my 1st Corvair. Of course I am sure everyone can relate. Although the original color was silver blue, it's current POR15 black gives it a roustabout look. The last guy before me replaced all the weather seals which is good. No doubt during my first long trip I will be testing the effectiveness of the work I will be doing. I may give it a pretty good drain effectiveness test prior to that {{:>)
It is not what you know.

Return to “Corvair Talk”