Fuel gauge issues

Anything Corvair related
morevair

Fuel gauge issues

Post by morevair »

All,

I currently don't have a fuel reading... and others have been pointing me to the sender, which I've got... I was looking closer at the back of the fuel gauge a noticed 3 connections... 2 via connectors and what looks like a ground... I couldn't find anything that might connect to this possible ground... Attached is a pic of the fuel gauge with the 2 connectors connected... is the threaded nut below these connectors need to be attached ? A newbie question, but I am a newbie...
Attachments
20171228_162801.jpg
Jeff M. in Phoenix, AZ
1966 Corsa 140 4-speed
66vairguy

Re: Fuel gauge issues

Post by 66vairguy »

The metal strip hanging below your speedometer lens is the ground plane strap. It goes to each gauge housing and when the cluster is bolted into the dash the strap rubs against the metal dashboard frame. Yeah not the greatest and notorious for causing ground problems with age as things corrode. Many, like myself, run a ground wire from the gauge ground plane to the a good ground under the dash.

Keep in mind the sender must also be grounded and the ground wire went to the body at the gas tank area - it usually is corroded providing a poor ground.

Good luck.
morevair

Post by morevair »

So you're saying that the 3rd threaded bolt/nut is "not" something that needs an attachment... ? I realize the strap is the ground for the cluster...(if you can see, I've removed the surface rust from the tab)... Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something simple (and Vairs always have grounding issues...) I just need to figure a "good" connection from the strap to the body... Lots of screws are missing... Ace hardware is my new latest Home...

Many thanks...
Jeff M. in Phoenix, AZ
1966 Corsa 140 4-speed
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

For a pretty complete illustrated explanation and description of your fuel gauge system, click on the following link...

:link: viewtopic.php?f=80&t=8347&p=55901&hilit ... oil#p55901

Also see the following for more detailed wiring diagrams...

Corvair Combined Wiring Schematics
:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=12968

The fuel gauge also depends on a good ground for the Corsa or Monza instrument panel...

Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
morevair

Post by morevair »

Thanks Brad... As long as it out (the dash) I'll try to get rid of any oxidation I can see...and make sure I get that ground strap connected into the body (I see lots of star washers in my future)... Plus the reason (in the pic ) that the speedo is missing, a local member might help me re-build it... If not, it's 200 bucks from Clark's... Only had Her a month... and She's giving me some Challenges (My Issues not Hers)... but I drive Her everyday... with a big smile on my face...
Jeff M. in Phoenix, AZ
1966 Corsa 140 4-speed
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

morevair wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:34 pm So you're saying that the 3rd threaded bolt/nut is "not" something that needs an attachment... ? I realize the strap is the ground for the cluster...(if you can see, I've removed the surface rust from the tab)... Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something simple (and Vairs always have grounding issues...) I just need to figure a "good" connection from the strap to the body... Lots of screws are missing... Ace hardware is my new latest Home...

Many thanks...
The "third" nut attaches the gauge to it's case ground. The case ground is attached to the metal ground strap (or should be).

The Corsa speedometer is almost always worn out now. The metal odometer drive gears lubrication dries out (decades ago) and then they wear out. I've rebuilt about six for myself and buddies and frankly Clark's rebuilt price of $200.00 is a good deal (and why I won't do them for a fee).

The next issue will be the tachometer --- Fortunately they are still repairable and can be calibrated IF the meter is good. Once the meter return springs fail they are finished. BTW - if you paint the tachometer needle the WHOLE mechanism must be mechanically balanced and electrically calibrated. My average is FIVE hours to get one done to +/- 100RPM for the full scale and why I stopped doing them!

Return to “Corvair Talk”