Can't find the answer to this....reverse lights

Anything Corvair related
emceebrooks

Can't find the answer to this....reverse lights

Post by emceebrooks »

The 64 Convertible we just bought has no reverse lights-- just solid red lenses on the inner tail lights. Everything I can find online says reverse lights were standard on the 64 model, (as does every photo I can find of them) but I don't think our particular car ever had them. I suppose someone could have changed out the tail lights. Any ideas?
Marcus Brooks
Columbus, OH / Orlando, FL

'64 Monza Convertible
terribleted

Re: Can't find the answer to this....reverse lights

Post by terribleted »

Very possible someone has installed 2 extra taillights, this is a common mod. Check the wiring and function of the inboard lamps to see what they actually are.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
caraholic4life

Post by caraholic4life »

If my memory serves me correctly....

Backup lights were optional on the 500 model Corvair but not sure about the 700 models as I saw very few of them over the years.

I think they were standard equipment on all 900 (Monza) models which would include the convertible as I do not think any 500 or 700 convertibles were ever offered.

My first car was a 1963 500 Coupe with a PG and it did not have back up lights. It had blank aluminum covers that resembled the taillights in shape.

I had acquired a 1963 Monza parts car and swapped out many interior parts as well as the back up lights.

In order to get working back up lights I changed the rear engine wire harness from the Monza along with the backup light housings and lenses and they worked without anything further. The rest of the wiring and switches necessary for the backup lights to function were already a part of the car from the factory. (This was back in 1973)

I imagine you could simply locate a rear engine wiring harness and swap it out in order to obtain functioning backup lights but since your car is 50+ years old, any number of modifications could have taken place so it isn't a given that this will work without further effort. JMO :my02:

Later on I had a several Corsa Convertibles, one of which someone had deleted the backup lights and replaced them with a second tail light on each side but had to modify the harness to do the job. On that car I never changed them back.

I hope this is of some help.
1962 95 FC Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Mid Engine enthusiast &
Prior Kelmark Owner
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

1964 Fisher bodytags ACC line. (WR only)
The Letters are listed in groups. Letters following a number is in that group. The code letters are listed in the order they would appear. Some letters are in more than one group
Tag style change at either 10C or 10D

First Group ( no numeric indicator)
E = Tinted windshield and side glass
D = Power Top (Manual top standard, no indicator)
W = Tinted Windshield only

2 = Second Group
M = Powerglide Automatic
L = 4 Speed
E = Air Conditioning
P = Convenience group (2 speed wipers, w/ washer, day/night mirror, glovebox
light, backup lights)
R = Rear speaker
S = Rear antenna

3 = Third Group
C = Padded dash
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Not unusual for folks to convert the backup lights to extra tail/stop lamps. You'll have to look at the wiring to see if that was done, or maybe somebody just replaced the clear lens with red ones.

Having the extra tail lamps improved visibility to those following, one hopes! If you want working back-up lights there are other options if you don't want to convert the inner tail lamps to backup lights.

Any Covair WITHOUT back up lights had plain aluminum inserts installed that were shaped like the plastic lens.
JWDEITCHER

Post by JWDEITCHER »

Do the lights go on when you either back up, brake or turn signal? If no, the PO probably disconnected the reverse switch and swapped out the inner lenses. Both can be replaced. The switch is about $80 and the lenses can be found cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
Anchored in the muddy shore of San Pablo Bay. Rodeo, Ca.

~1964 Monza convertible~
~1965 Monza Frankenstein coupe~
Instagram: @vondeitch
www.sfbacorsa.org
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

Post a photo of the body tag in the engine compartment, we can tell you if it came from the factory with backup lights from the codes.

Kalamazoo, Mi..
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Duplicated from your Project 1964 Convertible :link: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=13781&p=95328#p95328 post...

The attached reference, 1964 Chevrolet Corvair GM Heritage Center Specs, Indicates in the REGULAR EQUIPMENT — EXTERIOR chart on page 5 that Back-up Lamps were standard equipment on the Corvair 600 series (Spyder) and 900 series (Monza) models. Page 9 lists REGULAR PRODUCTION OPTIONS and indicates that Back-up Lamps were part of RPO Z01 for the Corvair 500 and 700 series vehicles. The installation of the backup lights would be indicated by 1964 Fisher bodytags ACC line code 2P.

Here is some information on the back-up lamp system that may be present (at least in part) on your Corvair. You will have to examine the manual transmission to look for a backup light witch and associated wiring.

According to the shop manual, the heater fan and backup lights are both supported by the same 20 amp fuse. It is the third fuse in the fuse block. Check the fuse to ensure that it has not failed.

Troubleshooting the circuit should be fairly straightforward. If you have access to a multimeter to test the circuit, you should be able to test the backup light switch function at the transmission, using a multimeter to measure continuity (ohms). With the backup light switch disconnected from the circuit, you should read an OPEN condition between the two terminals of the backup light switch with the transmission NOT in reverse. If you shift the transmission into the reverse gear, you should have continuity between the two electrical terminals of the switch (switch CLOSED). If the switch does not show electrical continuity through it when the transmission is in REVERSE, the switch has failed and needs to be replaced.

You can follow the schematic wiring diagram below to check for the presence of the wiring needed to complete the circuit to the backup light sockets. 1156 bulbs should be present in each backup light socket.

A 20gauge B/LG (Black with Light Green Stripe) wire normally carries voltage from the fuse block to the transmission backup light switch, and then continues to the rear of the car, where it passes through the 10-pin multi-connector in the engine compartment. The output of the multi-connector divides with a separate wire traveling through the wiring harness to each back-up light socket, where the voltage passes through each 1156 bulb, which is then grounded by the bulb socket to chassis ground. I believe the ignition key needs to be in the ON position for power to be applied to the circuit. With the key ON, you should be able to measure 12 V DC between the voltage lead in the tunnel under the car and GROUND. If you measure voltage present on that wire, the backup lights should illuminate if you connect the other lead in the harness to the voltage lead. If the backup lights illuminate properly when you connect the two wires together you have proven electrical continuity from the fuse block to the backup lights. You only need to add a functioning backup light switch to the circuit to reestablish the backup lights function in your Corvair.

In the schematic diagram below I have combined the engine compartment, interior and trunk wiring diagrams for the 1964 Corvair passenger car into a single diagram.

Left-click the image to enlarge it for better viewing or "Pan & Scan"...
1964 Corvair Passenger Car Combined Schematic
1964 Corvair Passenger Car Combined Schematic
CORVAIR COMBINED WIRING SCHEMATIC DIAGRAMS
:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=12968

If you find that your backup light switch has failed you have two options. Clark's Corvair Parts offers a replacement switch that can be installed in the transmission to reestablish a working backup light circuit. Alternately, you may choose to use the three speed transmission backup light switch as a substitute for the switch is installed in a four speed transmission. The three speed transmission switch is physically located in the tunnel and utilizes the moving shift linkage in the tunnel to close the switch. The three speed switch option is labeled "fix-it kit" in the center of the catalog page shown below.

ImageImage
:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... N&page=84B

Part number C5364: 61-65 4SP BACK-UP SWITCH *EXACT REPRO BOOT & GASKET (C383A) INCLUDED

Weight: 0 lbs 10 oz
Catalog Pages(s): 84B
Price: $ 53.50

Part number C8379: 4 SPEED BACK UP SWITCH FIX-THEY LEAVE OLD SWITCH IN PLACE-THIS WORKS OFF SHIFT ROD

Weight: 1 lbs 0 oz
Catalog Pages(s): 84B
Price: $ 39.05

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... IN&page=95

Part number C213RG (Regular): 64 BACKUP LENS WITH "GUIDE"

Weight: 0 lbs 6 oz
Catalog Pages(s): 95
Price: $ 22.10

1156 bulbs only belong in the backup light sockets. The two locking pins in the 1157 bulb are positioned at different heights on the side of the bayonet base/lamp socket, to ensure that they are properly inserted.

ImageImage

:chevy:
Attachments
1964 Chevrolet Corvair GM Heritage Center Specs.pdf
1964 Chevrolet Corvair GM Heritage Center Specs
(2.57 MiB) Downloaded 28 times
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
dave t

Post by dave t »

If you install a backup light switch on the trans and the lamps stay on in any gear. Install

Sent from my [device_name] using Corvair Forum mobile app

dave t

Post by dave t »

Install another plastic washer to space the switch down. I went through 3 switches before I discovered this.

Sent from my [device_name] using Corvair Forum mobile app

emceebrooks

Post by emceebrooks »

76E17AF1-8CCB-42ED-AF6C-2ED0F7E7E2F7.jpeg
- so it originally did have backup lights?
Marcus Brooks
Columbus, OH / Orlando, FL

'64 Monza Convertible
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

It came from the factory with back up lights, somebody changed them.

Kalamazoo, Mi..

Return to “Corvair Talk”