1966 corsa fuse box/block

Anything Corvair related
morevair

1966 corsa fuse box/block

Post by morevair »

All, I'm trying to troubleshoot some electrical issues, and some one pointed me at the under dash fuse box/block... So I'm trying to remove the box for inspection and cleaning. I see the two hex screws in the fuse channels that hold it to the wall... but for the life of me, non of my sockets/nut drivers will get to them... Is there a trick, or special tool required to remove the fuse box on a 1966 corsa ?

Any help is appreciated...
Jeff M. in Phoenix, AZ
1966 Corsa 140 4-speed
terribleted

Re: 1966 corsa fuse box/block

Post by terribleted »

No trick. take out the fuses and use a 5/16" socket. Do you have 12V to the ignition switch? You should be able top probe the 12V input wire to the fuse box without removing it from the firewall...is there 12V there?
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
morevair

Post by morevair »

Thanks for the 5/16 info... all of my tools are "very" old.. from the 70's... so I probably need to re-stock to get some thinner walled tools... And yes I have 12V to it... but it's 52 years old... and just wanted to make sure it good an clean... I've pulled the dash (got a local person that will help with the speedo rebuild) just trying to make a 52 year old Corsa new... one step at a time...
Jeff M. in Phoenix, AZ
1966 Corsa 140 4-speed
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

morevair wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:00 pm Thanks for the 5/16 info... all of my tools are "very" old.. from the 70's... so I probably need to re-stock to get some thinner walled tools... And yes I have 12V to it... but it's 52 years old... and just wanted to make sure it good an clean... I've pulled the dash (got a local person that will help with the speedo rebuild) just trying to make a 52 year old Corsa new... one step at a time...
Yes 1/4" drive thin wall 5/16" socket. Thick Taiwan junk and 3/8 drive sockets are too large to fit in the hole. I have mostly Craftsman sockets from the 80's and 90's their 1/4" drive sockets work fine for this and yes most nut drivers are too fat.

So you have fixed your no power problem in the earlier post then?
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.

66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

morevair wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:00 pm Thanks for the 5/16 info... all of my tools are "very" old.. from the 70's... so I probably need to re-stock to get some thinner walled tools... And yes I have 12V to it... but it's 52 years old... and just wanted to make sure it good an clean... I've pulled the dash (got a local person that will help with the speedo rebuild) just trying to make a 52 year old Corsa new... one step at a time...
Sometimes the sockets have a rounded edge and won't grab a shallow screw head. I grind the bottom of the socket down to the interior wall sides for a better gripe.

There will be a thick paper/cardboard piece behind the fuse box. DO NOT LOSE IT as it is an insulator!

If lucky you can clean up the fuse clips. If the box is really corroded then you can go with a newer style fuse box you wire in that some sell, or get a new harness with original style fuse box from M&H Electrics, Clarks sells them.
morevair

Post by morevair »

Terrible Ted, to answer your question no she still dead in the water. Got somebody from the Corvair club that’s an electrical engineer and will start stepping through her
Jeff M. in Phoenix, AZ
1966 Corsa 140 4-speed
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Hope you guys find the issue...should not be terribly hard unless someone has previously modified a lot of wiring...that makes it more interesting:) Good luck.

morevair

Post by morevair »

Turns out we were able to pull the fuse block (someone had better tools) it looks good... so on the next issue..

Thanks All..
Jeff M. in Phoenix, AZ
1966 Corsa 140 4-speed
morevair

Post by morevair »

The fuse box looks good actually, the insulator kind of fell apart so I made a new one out of leftover cardboard in the garage. Reinstalled it and replaced the hex nuts with hex nuts that also take a slight screwdriver so I won’t have that problem the future… And yes I did get to the bottom of the electrical problem turns out the 10 gauge wire power on the body side of the engine harness was corroded. Couldn’t get it out to fix it correctly, stuck in a Brad to make better connection and everything came alive .Went to Harbor freight and picked up some tweezer like tools to pull that pin and fix it correctly… Man this is frustrating and fun LOL
Jeff M. in Phoenix, AZ
1966 Corsa 140 4-speed
morevair

Post by morevair »

Thanks again for all the help, Corvair folks are the best... I’m probably going to blowout this forms storage with all the questions I keep asking…
Jeff M. in Phoenix, AZ
1966 Corsa 140 4-speed
morevair

Post by morevair »

Thanks again for all the help, Corvair folks are the best... I’m probably going to blowout this forms storage with all the questions I keep asking…
Jeff M. in Phoenix, AZ
1966 Corsa 140 4-speed

Return to “Corvair Talk”