Driving during the winter

Anything Corvair related
Bard Beach

Driving during the winter

Post by Bard Beach »

I live in Brooklyn, and would love to keep driving the car occasionally a little around the neighborhood during the winter when there isn’t snow on the ground. For fun as well as for keeping the car in good running condition.
Snow on roads in the city melts pretty quick but there’ll surely be some dry salt on the roads.
Would love to hear any thoughts on driving on dry roads in the winter in between snows.

IMG_1728.JPG
terribleted

Re: Driving during the winter

Post by terribleted »

Corvairs drive excellent in the snow...better than most other cars. The salt is less of an issue if it is dry but will get on the car some (as it will first thing in the spring even). It is a good idea to operate the car to keep tires from flat spotting , fresh fuel in the carbs etc. I recommend trying it at least once when the snow is fresh and the salt trucks have not run yet:)

After a drive on wet salt or dry a good rinse over and under is a good idea.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
Jim in Wis.

Post by Jim in Wis. »

Here in Wisconsin it seems like there is salt on the roads for the entire winter. Even when the snow is gone, there is a white powder left on the roads. Most collector guys here don't drive a "good car" until we had a decent rain in the spring to wash the stuff off. When that powder flies up from the tires and lands on the frame and suspension parts, it just stays there waiting for some moisture to start eating at your car.
Lately they have been spraying a liquid on the roads before a storm instead of dumping salt pellets on top of the snow. I don't know if that is better for our cars or not - or what that liquid is. Salt water I suppose.
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

I would be much more worried about the pre brine, post salt, double team that the government does to the roads at any indication of even the slightest chance of percipatation than the snow itself. My car is a driver through and through and it won't get put on the roads while that shit is on them.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

-Steve
1961 Corvair 700 Sedan (80hp 3spd Gasoline Heat)
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

This is a picture of your car rotting.Image

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

-Steve
1961 Corvair 700 Sedan (80hp 3spd Gasoline Heat)
Jerry Whitt

Post by Jerry Whitt »

Snow? What's that?
Jerry Whitt
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new
65 Corsa convertible
Bard Beach

Post by Bard Beach »

Haha I don’t know if I can just let it sit!
Planning on making an undercarriage washer with pvc pipe and give it a good wash down after occasional rides. Do want to take it out on a real snow day for sure!

Sent from my iPad using Corvair Forum mobile app
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

I'm now on the West coast, but even here cars within a couple miles of the ocean RUST from the salt in the air that blows in off the ocean.

Having grown up in the Rust Belt all I can say is NOBODY with a nice old car they valued drove it during the Winter and waited until at least one good rain in the Spring washed down the roads to take their old car out.

Just me, but driving a nice solid old car even when the salt on the roads is dry, well you might as well set it on fire. Salt just takes a little longer.
skipvair

Post by skipvair »

Many years
Ago mine
Was
Great in 12” plus. Only problem
Was
Fender wells
Icing
Up
I’m
Front and preventing turns. Also throttle
Linkage getting
Iced up. I always suppose the Midwest
Has so many Corvairs because they were so good in snow and front drive cars didn’t exist.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
Frank Metasavage

65 Corsa 140 4 speed with Weber IDAs
66 Corsa 140 4 speed Stock

Return to “Corvair Talk”