Our New Project

Anything Corvair related
perfectreign

Our New Project

Post by perfectreign »

So after looking for a very long time, my son and I bought this '65 Monday from a local seller here in Southern California. It isn't running at the moment but we should have that done soon. It is a Corsa four speed with the following VIN. Probably the most rust free model I've seen. Interior is decent but will need work.

Looking forward to the adventure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kai Ponte - www.perfectreign.com

Image2006 Chevy Avalanche WBH LS

Image 2016 Chevy Malibu Hybrid
rfw66

Re: Our New Project

Post by rfw66 »

Nice to start with such a nice, rust free car. Looks like it was Crocus yellow .

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
Bob W
65 Corsa convertible
68 Monza coupe
perfectreign

Post by perfectreign »

rfw66 wrote:Nice to start with such a nice, rust free car. Looks like it was Crocus yellow
Hey good call! How'd you guess?? Found the build plate and decoded it.

Built in January 1965
1965 Corsa coupeImage

Interior: Black
Exterior: Crocus Yellow
Built in Los Angeles
M20 4-Speed
Padded Dash
A49 Custom Deluxe Type seat belts with retractors

Also found a wee bit of rust at the bottom of the drivers door. No biggie.

perfectreign

Post by perfectreign »

We did some cleaning and wanted to see if it actually would start. Hooked up several parts, added oil (there was none) and some gas. At least we know that the engine should start.

I need to know if the turbo has to be hooked up. Will research that next.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZFF5h3IJh4

vairguy63

Post by vairguy63 »

Nice clean '65 Congrats! I'll be looking for one for my son by April.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Your engine does not look like a late model engine. The cooling fan design is normally seen on a 1962-1963 engine. Can you provide the serial number from your engine? That may help to confirm the nature of the engine that is installed in your 1965 Corvair. (Located to the right of the alternator, between the oil filter adapter and the engine top sheet metal shroud).

The cylinder head casting number is another way to identify the engine. It may be difficult to see without removing the sheet metal that may cover the casting number.

Cylinder heads have a casting number on the end of the head, as shown in the example below...

There is a part number stamped on the back of the distributor housing (difficult to see without pulling the distributor or possibly rotating it to view the back).

If it is a substitute early model engine, the turbocharger cannot be fitted to it.

Did you remove the spark plugs and run a compression test on each cylinder? This would be a good first test to confirm the mechanical condition of each cylinder, valve train, etc.

Removing your car from storage/Reviving a Dead Corvair
:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=5030

Body Tag.jpg
Here is a breakdown of the information on the body tag you provided...
BODY TAG INFO:

01B
Body Build Date: 01 = January, B = Second Week
The first two digits are numbers 01 through 12, indicating the month of manufacture. The letter is A-E, indicating the week of the month. If the letter is an "B" it indicates the second week of the month.

65-10737 LOS 1914 BODY
Style: 65 = 1965 10737: 1 = Chevrolet, 07 = Corsa, 37 = 2-Door Coupe 4-Passenger,
LOS = Los Angeles, California (Van Nuys Plant), Production Sequence No: 1914

1965 Chevrolet Corvair Corsa 2-Door Coupe - 4 Passenger, Total Production: 20,291

TRim: 713- = BLACK (MONZA 10500 and CORSA 10700 SERIES — Bucket Front Seats)
This 3 digit codes represents the interior color and seat type.

Paint: Y-Y = YELLOW "Crocus Yellow"
Lucite No. 4620L, Rinshed-Mason No. A1715, Ditzler No. DDL 81500

Examples — 1965 Corvair Coupe in Crocus Yellow

ACC = Accessory line
When decoding ACC line on the Fisher body tags, be aware that body tags do not include any options that did not require any body modification be done by Fisher. Fisher was only concerned with items that required modifications during the assembly of the body. A good example is that you won’t find Telescopic column listed on the body tag. Although this is a major option, it did not require any special consideration during body assembly.

E 2L 3C 4O 5W

GROUP 1
E = RPO A01 — Tinted Glass (Soft Ray glass in all windows)

GROUP 2
L = RPO M20 — 4 Speed Manual Transmission

GROUP 3
C = RPO B70 — Padded Dash

GROUP 4
U = RPO L87 — Turbocharged Engine

GROUP 5
W = RPO A49 — Deluxe Front Seatbelts (Chrome Buckles) with Retractors

This guide will show you how to decode the VIN tag...
VIN - LM Corvair Passenger Car VIN Tag Decoding.jpg

I have attached a copy of the 1965 Chevrolet Corvair GM Heritage Center Specs for your model year Corvair.
1965 Chevrolet Corvair GM Heritage Center Specs.pdf
1965 Chevrolet Corvair GM Heritage Center Specs
(2.01 MiB) Downloaded 24 times
:chevy:
Attachments
1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual - SECTION 6 - ENGINE TUNE-UP.pdf
1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual - SECTION 6 - ENGINE TUNE-UP
(2.92 MiB) Downloaded 21 times
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

"There was no oil in the engine" --- " I need to know if the Turbo needs to be hooked up"

Doesn't look like the correct engine. Missing all the engine sheet metal. Door is a rusted out mess. Incorrect engine wiring (ballast). Ratty interior.

I've seen a lot of Corvairs for sale around S. Calif. that were a lot better than the car in the pictures.

I think this guy is playing a practical joke on the forum.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

I noticed that somebody installed an extra ballast resistor (mounted near your body tag). It is normally not needed if your wiring harness in the engine compartment is intact and has not been modified, as a resistor wire is already embedded in the primary wiring harness circuit that supplies the ignition coil. The presence of an extra ballast resistor and modified wiring places your ignition system wiring in question. You should examine the wiring harness, use a multimeter to test the circuit, etc.

Wiring schematic diagrams for your Corvair can be found using the following link...

CORVAIR COMBINED WIRING SCHEMATIC DIAGRAMS

:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=12968

The combined wiring schematic for the 1965 Corsa can be enlarged by clicking on the diagram (twice for maximum enlargement). Voltage is supplied to the ignition coil positive terminal from two sources. When the engine is being cranked, 12 V DC is supplied directly from the starter solenoid to boost the coil output to promote starting by providing a stronger voltage to each spark plug. When the key is released after the engine starts, the voltage from the starter solenoid is discontinued, leaving a lower nominal 7 V DC from the ignition switch, provided through the ballast resistor wire in the harness. The lower voltage is deemed sufficient for normal engine operation. The lower current prolongs the life of the ignition points and allows the coil to run at cooler operating temperatures.

Is your distributor in a stock configuration with ignition points, or has an aftermarket electronic breakerless ignition system bee fitted?
Brad Bodie
perfectreign

Post by perfectreign »

Thank you so much for those posts. I'm going to have him look at the engine number this morning.

perfectreign

Our New Project

Post by perfectreign »

Okay I finally looked at the engine. Also had a very nice person who I've known at the local Auto one come over. He has a 65 Corsa and a Corv8 (whatever year that is.)

He agreed the engine and tyranny were from a Gen1 car. He said the engines all shared the same bolt pattern. I wiped off some of the grime from the block and confirmed it is a 64 110 manual engine.

64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

62-63 102 HP.
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Corvair Engine Serial Number YN.jpg
Below is your engine serial number…-

T0501YN
T = Tonawanda, New York (GM Tonawanda Engine Plant)
http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/comp ... wanda.html
0501 = Engine manufacturing date (month and date). May 1st.

YN
  • 1961 98 hp 145 CID Manual Transmission 9:1 Compression Ratio (Corvair 500/700/900 Monza)
  • 1962 102 hp 145 CID Manual Transmission 9:1 CR (No PCV system — Road Draft Tube) (Corvair 500/700/900 Monza)
  • 1963 102 hp 145 CID Manual Transmission 9:1 CR (PCV system w/PCV Valve) (Corvair 500/700/900 Monza)
  • 1964 110 hp 164 CID Manual Transmission 9:1 CR (PCV system w/Fixed Orifice) (Corvair 500/700/900 Monza)
Your engine compartment has a lot of visible clue that may be inconclusive, since components are easily transferred from one engine to another. Suffix code "YN" was found on engines from 1961-1964, and the date code does not include a year (unfortunately). 1961 engines had a manual choke system, and 1962-64 had an automatic choke. 1961 had a different distributor design with a clip-on cap — later engines used a distributor with a cap that was held in-place with screws, but distributors can also be swapped. The cooling fan design was seen on late 1961 production engines though 1963. Alternators were introduced in 1965. If a stamped steel crankshaft pulley is fitted, it was found on 1960-1963 engines. A harmonic balancer was fitted with the longer-stroke crankshaft in 1964 and later 110 hp Corvairs. The most-significant clue would be the cylinder head casting number.

I'm guessing you have a 1963 non-turbo engine.
Engine Compartment.jpg
Brad Bodie
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

Even with the different engine/trans and rust problems its still a Los Angeles built factory Corsa turbo. That's a good find. I hope you save it.
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
perfectreign

Post by perfectreign »

Scott Howey wrote:Even with the different engine/trans and rust problems its still a Los Angeles built factory Corsa turbo. That's a good find. I hope you save it.
Thanks. Im going to post in the user build starting tomorrow. My son and buddies began the engine removal process. One friend, who has a WRX, kept asking where all the wires for the sensors are.

Apparently the previous owner recently installed new brakes.

Return to “Corvair Talk”