Dropped valve seats

Anything Corvair related
slickclyde

Dropped valve seats

Post by slickclyde »

Hello All,

I don’t know if anyone is familiar with Cecil Williams 65 Corsa build from Washington, but I purchased that car 3 years ago and although it’s one of the best corvairs built, it’s had constant engine issues since I’ve had it. I have had dropped valve seats on 3 occasions already and it seems like no one down here in South Florida knows what they’re doing when it comes to this flat six air cooled engine. I know this seems to be a weak link with most Corvair 140hp and corsa’s, but I have run out of luck with mine. I am desperate to get this issue resolved. Can any of you point me in the right direction as to where I may be able to permanently fix this recurring problem? My Corvair right now is currently stuck in my garage and not drive-able. I am willing to send her to a reputable shop that can perform the specific head work or anything else necessary. Please let me know. Kendallg21@gmail.com

Ed

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
funvairs

Re: Dropped valve seats

Post by funvairs »

Contact Ken Hand. He's made his living fixing Corvairs for the past 30 years or so, including cyl heads.
He does quailty work.
Handy Car Care
http://corvairm.dev2.livedevelop.com/
On this forum he goes by vairmech
Chris Brown

Corvanatics: Director at Large
Ultra Van Motor Coach Club Vice President
CORSA
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

While dropping valve seats is a known issue with 140HP heads, it is fixed by installing deep seats (more contact area). I've never heard of a deep seat 140HP engine dropping a valve seat. The exception is overheating the engine or inferior workmanship. Sadly your basic machine shop isn't qualified to do Corvair heads - IMHO.

I've had great luck with Bruce at Engine Machine Service in Inglewood Calif. He does all the head work for the local Corvair mechanics.
slickclyde

Post by slickclyde »

Thanks guys. So it seems like there’s no one in Florida that could take care of this. Best course of action is to take the heads out and ship them I presume?

slickclyde

Post by slickclyde »

IMG_1651.JPG
IMG_1646.JPG

Return to “Corvair Talk”