Caring for White Walls

Anything Corvair related
Vairamp

Caring for White Walls

Post by Vairamp »

I’ve just purchased Coker WW for my ‘62 Rampside. It’s being restored in a shop. I need to get them mounted onto original rims and installed on the FC. Any suggestions about mounting them and protecting them while they’re doing work on the Rampside? For instance could blue painters’ paint cover the White ? Should I get Flatstoppers ?
THANKS!

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
Jerry Whitt

Re: Caring for White Walls

Post by Jerry Whitt »

Best protection is to keep the tires off the vehicle until paint and body work done. Once the work is complete, then have the tires and rims installed, and have it aligned.

How do I know? Did it the wrong way the first try. (Seems like many of life's lessons are learned the hard way)
Jerry Whitt
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new
65 Corsa convertible
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Jerry Whitt wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:27 pm Best protection is to keep the tires off the vehicle until paint and body work done. Once the work is complete, then have the tires and rims installed, and have it aligned.

How do I know? Did it the wrong way the first try. (Seems like many of life's lessons are learned the hard way)
This!! A set of extra rims and tires that hold air (or go jacks, body cart or something similar) should certainly be used until the body and paintwork are done. I like when possible to have the restored set of wheels and tires be one of the last things installed during restoration. I have a set of 13" 5 lug Corvair wheels and old tires that hold air that I have used on a few cars just for mobility during restoration. They work on late models or FC's. The tire sizes on the wheels do not make a lot of difference unless very small or very large, all 4 wheels the same size or fronts one size rears another is ideal but not absolutely necessary. Wheel and tires are quite likely to get some overspray on them during any painting operation by them.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
Vairamp

Post by Vairamp »

I kinda thought an extra set would be the best way. Right now it has some funky chrome rims and tires that’ve seen better days. The body & interior has been painted. The shop wants to drive it more to better evaluate the drivetrain and suspension.
I have a roll of vinyl siding flashing. I might cut it and attach to the wheels. I’ll probably ask Coker if painters tape is OK.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app

Return to “Corvair Talk”