Just a few issues

Anything Corvair related
Blair

Just a few issues

Post by Blair »

I am currently in North Carolina on camp lejeune. I am getting out of the marines in about a month in a half and moving back to PA. I will be shipping my corvair with me, and will probably end up renting a storage unit for it. I want to go in and at least start it and let it run about once a week. The problem is, it won't start. My goal is to get it running again and then i can start working on secondary issues after that. One problem is the distributer. There is nothing wrong with it in itself, but I removed it and put it back in incorrectly and cranked the engine. Now putting it back in seems like a fairly complicated process according to previous posts. Also there is something wrong with the generator. It is difficult to spin and the belt just rubs on the pulley. But I will try to take it off and spin it by hand later today. Also, one of the brackets on the generator itself is snapped off, but it still sits well enough that I don't see why it would be an issue. Would proper mounting of the generator be an issue? I am thinking about just switching to an alternator. Instead of buying the entire oil filter piece to fit an alternator, they should make a smaller adapter that fits into the holes that the generator bolts on to, with holes on the top to fit an alternator. I have the links to all the parts I will need for the alternator upgrade, but how complicated is the process of installing all of it?
terribleted

Re: Just a few issues

Post by terribleted »

Get in the Corvair shop manual and follow the distributor installation engine disturbed instructions in the engine electrical section and re-install the distributor correctly. Hopefully this fixes your no start.

The broken generator mounting part (I am assuming generator end frame from what you have said) would need to be replaced to use the generator. Find out why the generator is seemingly seized up. The engine can be run with no belt for short periods of time so occasional short periods of operation when in storage without the belt would not cause issues as long as the engine is not run long enough to overheat. If long storage is anticipated (year or more) I would drain the fuel tank prior to storage and do any operation of the engine from an external fuel source until the car came out of storage. If the storage is expected to be shorter term add Sta-bil or other brand fuel stabilizer to the fuel to keep the fuel viable longer. You would not necessarily need to run it every week to circulate oil and fuel, once a month or so should be adequate.

The process of installing an alternator system is straight forward. Remove generator, oil filter adapter, and generator voltage regulator. Install alternator type oil filer adapter, suitable alternator, alternator voltage regulator (if the alternator is stock external regulated unit. Next you would re-wire the charging system part of the wiring to match whatever alternator configuration you installed.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Just a few issues

Post by bbodie52 »

REFER TO THE DISTRIBUTOR AND PULLEY/TIMING MARKS PICTURES BELOW.

Basically, rotate the engine crankshaft counterclockwise until the timing mark on the pulley lines up with "0". If the engine is on the compression stroke, both valves associated with cylinder number one will be closed. If examination shows the EXHAUST VALVE to be open, the piston is at TOP DEAD CENTER of the EXHAUST STROKE. Rotate the engine crankshaft one more full turn counterclockwise until it reaches "0" again on the timing marks. This time it will have both valves closed on cylinder number one, and the number one piston will be at TOP DEAD CENTER on the COMPRESSION STROKE.

Point the distributor rotor (cap off) in the position of distributor cap tower number 1. Insert the distributor with the rotor pointed correctly until it is fully seated and the distributor gear is engaged leaving the rotor pointed as shown. (If the distributor won't go all the way down, the oil pump drive at the bottom may not be oriented properly to allow the bottom of the distributor shaft to engage with the oil pump drive. You can use a long-shaft flat blade screwdriver to manually rotate the oil pump a little to allow the distributor shaft to engage properly with the oil pump while permitting the distributor to bottom out).

ImageImageImage

See DISTRIBUTOR INSTALLATION — ENGINE DISTURBED on page 6Y-20 of the attached shop manual section...
1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual - SECTION 6Y - ENGINE ELECTRICAL.pdf
1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual - SECTION 6Y - ENGINE ELECTRICAL
(8.51 MiB) Downloaded 38 times
It is possible to static-time your ignition system with a strip of paper placed between the ignition points. The engine timing mark can be manually positioned to the desired setting on the crankshaft pulley, and the distributor can be slowly rotated until the points just start to open and release the strip of paper. This establishes the point that the ignition coil will discharge, with the rotor pointing at spark plug wire number 1. The distributor is then tightened and the mechanic has established an initial static timing setting. Of course, having a timing light makes things much easier, improves accuracy, and permits visual confirmation that the centrifugal advance is functioning.

Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible

Return to “Corvair Talk”