Hauling an FC Van

Anything Corvair related
62'Brier

Hauling an FC Van

Post by 62'Brier »

General question- what's the most cost effective way for me to haul a van some 900 miles? If I have the back wheels\tires functioning could I hitch it up to a motorhome?
I don't have a truck or trailer
Have a nice day...
terribleted

Re: Hauling an FC Van

Post by terribleted »

If it is an automatic not really...front pump runs on PG when flat towed so it is a no no. You can tow a PG on the front wheels with the rear off the ground. With a stick it should not be an issue as long as the clutch id disengaged and trans is in neutral. Whatever end is rolling (or both ends) better have good bearings, tires etc. You could use a tow dolly but may need to haul it rear first with steering tied off so it does not operate because of balance and sway issues. Other than that a trailer (rental?) is best unless you use a wrecker...keeping in mind to get enough weight forward on the trailer so sway is not an issue. You might be able to use a tow bar as well, but, I am not sure if stability would be an issue (all this simply because our cars and trucks are rear heavy). If your motor home is fairly big you may not have much issue if to barred. (here again must be a stick shift to tow with the rear wheels down (well I have seen people say leaving the engine idling while flat towing a PG car works, I have not tried this and would be unlikely to do so...too many possible issues to me...fire...engine shut down etc.)
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
62'Brier

Post by 62'Brier »

Thanks for the the detailed response. I bet everyone on here appreciates your responses,I I see you are a frequent contributor. What do you mean by wrecker? Guess I should look it up but is that an auto transporter?

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 using Corvair Forum mobile app

Have a nice day...
66corsaguy

Post by 66corsaguy »

62'Brier wrote:Thanks for the the detailed response. I bet everyone on here appreciates your responses,I I see you are a frequent contributor. What do you mean by wrecker? Guess I should look it up but is that an auto transporter?

I know a wrecker to be a tow truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

66corsaguy wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:13 pm
62'Brier wrote:Thanks for the the detailed response. I bet everyone on here appreciates your responses,I I see you are a frequent contributor. What do you mean by wrecker? Guess I should look it up but is that an auto transporter?

I know a wrecker to be a tow truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
Yes a roll back tow truck works great:) No problem with trailering either as long as attention is paid to weight balance.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia

Return to “Corvair Talk”