What will happen to your "Corvair Junk" when you die?

Anything Corvair related
Trip

What will happen to your "Corvair Junk" when you die?

Post by Trip »

Greetings Vairfolk,

Not to put too fine a point on it but we've got a lot of old geezers in the Corvair community. :neener:

Lots of Corvair nuts have collections of Corvair books, manuals, memorabilia, and/or Corvair parts. For the most part anything we own that is worth money (such as decent Corvairs themselves) will be put up for sale or kept by our next-of-kin, but after the passing of a close friend two years ago I realized a lot of stuff is likely to go in the garbage because it's value is too low to be worth bothering with selling or because our next of kin don't realize it's worth anything.

I would like to strongly encourage all of us to make arrangements for any collections of Corvair parts, Corvair related books and magazine collections, and other similar items to be given to a local CORSA chapter to distribute or otherwise arrange for these items to find their way into the possession of someone who will value them as you do.

I want to suggest Corvair enthusiasts instruct their executor or close family members to contact some particular group or person (such as a local CORSA chapter) and to provide them with contact info and perhaps a list of items. It's critical to make the process quick and painless to encourage the persons you entrust with the task more likely to complete it.

This is an idea I want to spread throughout the Corvair community. I'm considering making up some kind of flyer to give out at the 2018 Corvair convention and maybe even to try and get an article in the Communique. This is the first time I've put this idea into words, so obviously it will take some work to try to get the point across in as clear, concise, and polite a way as possible.

Let me know what you guys think, and if anyone wants to help me make a single sheet "What happens to your Corvair junk when you die" flyer to distribute any assistance is welcome!
Ray "Trip" Rodriguez III
Gouldsboro, PA
66 Corsa 140 coupe
65 Corsa 180 Turbocharged coupe
64 Monza Convertible
61 Air conditioned Monza coupe (Missy's)
See them here: https://tinyurl.com/ydc7txrf
rfw66

Re: What will happen to your "Corvair Junk" when you die?

Post by rfw66 »

When does one qualify as a “geezer”!
My oldest son said to me, “Dad get rid of all your engines and parts collection. I can’t use them when you’re gone.” It was a reality check!

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
Bob W
65 Corsa convertible
68 Monza coupe
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

gee·zer
ˈɡēzər/
noun NORTH AMERICAN informalderogatory
noun: geezer; plural noun: geezers

an old man.

BRITISH informal
a man.
"he strikes me as a decent geezer"

In the U.K.: A guy, a bloke, a person in general. The British equivalent of the American slang word "dude".

In the U.S.: An old man, particularly one who is either cranky or eccentric. Rather derogatory term.
(UK) "You're looking for Johnny? Yeah, he's that geezer over there in the green coat."

(US) "Old man Anderson keeps yelling at the kids playing outside. That geezer!"
:oldtimer: Speaking of "Old Geezers"...

What in the world we we all do if Cal Clark and his wife ever decide to retire???

:imsorry: :confused: This year I turn 65 and received my very own Medicare card. Every week my mailbox fills with insurance company offers for Medicare supplement insurance. My sons are in their 30's and 40's. I have three granddaughters and one of them gave me a great grandson. :whoa:
I have not yet joined AARP. Some day I just might become an "Old Geezer"! :eek:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

GEEZER TEST

Do you remember watching this on TV?
ImageImage

YES :oldtimer: :imsorry:

NO :woo:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Allan Lacki

Post by Allan Lacki »

Hi Ray,

That's a wonderful suggestion and I'll it by my folks in the Lehigh Valley Corvair Club - a chapter of CORSA. If you plan to submit an article for publication in the CORSA Communique, I'll be happy to edit it for you. That's if you think it needs to be edited! Of course, you can submit your article directly to Mike McGowan if you prefer.

Here's an anecdote. Some of you may remember Bill Ableson, proprietor of a Corvair repair shop in Wharton, New Jersey. Bill had a building-full of Corvair parts when he passed away. His widow commissioned NJACE officers Brian O'Neill and Bob Marlow to sell-off the inventory. (NJACE is the New Jersey Association of Corvair Enthusiasts - a chapter of CORSA). Brian and Bob had access to a booth at Carlisle which they used as a base for vending the goods. They were able to sell-off almost all of Bill Ableson's stock to individual Corvair owners. The remainder went to Clarks, if I recall correctly.

The proceeds went to Bill's widow. Brian and Bob retained a commission for their service. It took a lot of time - a few years - and effort on their part to do this, but it was successful. Bill's stock included just about everything you'd need to service a Corvair, including engines, transaxles, rebuild kits, NOS sheet metal, etc. Although I'm sure some of it was deteriorated beyond hope, most of it went to new homes.

Getting back to your idea, folks may also consider donating their stuff to CORSA's affiliate, the Corvair Preservation Foundation. CPF is not accepting soft copy documents at this time, but it is currently trying to build up its collection of hardware exhibits including relatively rare Corvairs. They may also be accepting things like Corvair speed parts etc. (No junk, of course).

CPF President Mike Hall ( mrhvair@aol.com )can provide better insight on what CPF would like to have in its collection. ::-):
Trip

Post by Trip »

Thanks for the replies of both the entertaining and helpful variety! It will be difficult for me to find time to try to get something decent put together for the communique or a flyer type thing but I'm going to try to get it done before Pittsburgh. I'm glad I got some positive response to the idea here, I was half asleep when this thought came to me and I typed up my post so when I remembered today I wasn't sure it was a good idea.

If "eccentric" is a major qualification for being a "geezer" most Corvair nuts are well on their way regardless of age! Myself, I'm 37 and still intimidated by "grown ups", but eccentric and cranky both certainly apply!

Also back on the original topic, I ran into a vendor at Carlisle once who told me he came into possession of a garage full of Corvair parts and after trying to sell the stuff over the course of a weekend swap meet he wound up deciding it wasn't worth the trouble and sold it for scrap metal. :sad5:
Ray "Trip" Rodriguez III
Gouldsboro, PA
66 Corsa 140 coupe
65 Corsa 180 Turbocharged coupe
64 Monza Convertible
61 Air conditioned Monza coupe (Missy's)
See them here: https://tinyurl.com/ydc7txrf
corvairracer

Post by corvairracer »

Allan Lacki wrote:Hi Ray,

That's a wonderful suggestion and I'll it by my folks in the Lehigh Valley Corvair Club - a chapter of CORSA. If you plan to submit an article for publication in the CORSA Communique, I'll be happy to edit it for you. That's if you think it needs to be edited! Of course, you can submit your article directly to Mike McGowan if you prefer.

Here's an anecdote. Some of you may remember Bill Ableson, proprietor of a Corvair repair shop in Wharton, New Jersey. Bill had a building-full of Corvair parts when he passed away. His widow commissioned NJACE officers Brian O'Neill and Bob Marlow to sell-off the inventory. (NJACE is the New Jersey Association of Corvair Enthusiasts - a chapter of CORSA). Brian and Bob had access to a booth at Carlisle which they used as a base for vending the goods. They were able to sell-off almost all of Bill Ableson's stock to individual Corvair owners. The remainder went to Clarks, if I recall correctly.

The proceeds went to Bill's widow. Brian and Bob retained a commission for their service. It took a lot of time - a few years - and effort on their part to do this, but it was successful. Bill's stock included just about everything you'd need to service a Corvair, including engines, transaxles, rebuild kits, NOS sheet metal, etc. Although I'm sure some of it was deteriorated beyond hope, most of it went to new homes.

Getting back to your idea, folks may also consider donating their stuff to CORSA's affiliate, the Corvair Preservation Foundation. CPF is not accepting soft copy documents at this time, but it is currently trying to build up its collection of hardware exhibits including relatively rare Corvairs. They may also be accepting things like Corvair speed parts etc. (No junk, of course).

CPF President Mike Hall ( mrhvair@aol.com )can provide better insight on what CPF would like to have in its collection. ::-):
Hi Allan, I remember purchasing many of those items from Brian and Bob 20 plus years ago. I am now 47 years old and my kids jokingly call me an old geezer.
Brett Aston

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Danny Joe

Post by Danny Joe »

Brett, Your kids aren't joking! LOL
'64 Spyder Convertible
'63 Rampside (to be Rotisseried)
Toney, Alabama (just outside Huntsville)

Return to “Corvair Talk”