...more leaking oil

Anything Corvair related
Blair

...more leaking oil

Post by Blair »

Today was the first time I had enough confidence in my car to drive it to the store a few miles down the road. And it runs really well. I've made so much progress with it and I think I've taken care of most of the major issues. But there will always be something to fix on this car.
I think i've spotted where the oil is leaking from. Are the seals for the oil cooler something I could make with some gasket maker or is it necessary for me to buy the actual seals? Underneath the oil cooler, is a puddle of oil in the sheet metal. It seems to all be leaking from the right side of the oil cooler. Since I just changed my oil and oil filter, i probably have 10 miles on this oil. Would I have to drain my oil to take out the oil cooler? The oil filter leaks a little bit from somewhere, the bottom of it always has oil in it. I'm assuming from the seal. It doesn't make much sense to me because I also changed the seal on it 2 weeks ago.
What kind of trouble would it cause to continue to run the car with a leaking oil cooler until I can fix it next weekend? And one more question.. how do I remove the rod that connects to the top of the mechanical fuel pump? I want to plug the fuel pump hole because it just gets in the way and is bypassed.
While I start the car in neutral, it runs at normal rpm. But if I drive it around a little bit, then put it in neutral while im sitting still, the rpms get a lot higher. It's like the car revs itself up without my foot on the gas. Does anyone else have this problem or is it normal?
Attachments
Snapchat-189274665.jpg
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: ...more leaking oil

Post by bbodie52 »

Assuming that you have not developed a leak in the oil cooler itself, this video covers oil cooler seal replacement, as well as some other things.

ImageImage

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... IN&page=12

Part number C123C: VITON OIL COOLER SEALS-SET 2

Weight: 0 lbs 2 oz
Catalog Pages(s): 4,12(60)
Price:
1 - 1 $ 4.15
2 - 9 $ 3.75
10+ $ 3.55

The link below will provide you with a list of useful websites that are Corvair-related. Some of the links will lead you to an extensive technical library that will allow you to download shop manuals and other technical references in Adobe Reader format at no cost. There is also a link that will help you to locate nearby CORSA (Corvair Society of America) club chapters. While the Corvair Forum can be very helpful as you work on your Corvair, having local friends and contacts in your region who are knowledgeable about the Corvair can also be very helpful. These family-friendly CORSA chapters often offer picnics, group scenic drives, technical training and assistance, car shows, and competition events that can greatly enhance your enjoyment of Corvair ownership. You will also find a list of essential Corvair parts suppliers. Clark's Corvair Parts is the biggest and oldest Corvair supplier in the world. You will find a link that can provide you with a series of videos that amount to a tour of the Clark's Corvair Parts facilities. I think you will be amazed at the quality of the reproduction components they offer — particularly the interior carpeting and re-upholstery items. Parts suppliers such as this truly make our Corvair hobby possible.

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

I posted the video Brad just reposted about the oil cooler seals, this time watch it. :banghead:
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
CorvairCon65

Post by CorvairCon65 »

Blair wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:43 pm While I start the car in neutral, it runs at normal rpm. But if I drive it around a little bit, then put it in neutral while im sitting still, the rpms get a lot higher. It's like the car revs itself up without my foot on the gas. Does anyone else have this problem or is it normal?
This used to happen a fair bit in mine but I found I could get my foot under the accelerator pedal and lift it up slightly. Not a long term fix but an instant one...
Blair

Post by Blair »

I tried that and yes the gas pedal does stick a little bit, but it doesn't fix the problem. I want to drive my car about a mile and a half to work tomorrow. Is driving with a leaking oil cooler going to be a big issue? I will make sure the oil level is good, just wondering if it will cause long term issues
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Not as long as the engine has enough oil in it at all times. It will likely be messy however.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
Blair

Post by Blair »

When I last ran my 64 monza Sunday afternoon, it was running and driving great. (Despite the oil leak) when I went in reverse to park it, it died. Tried to restart the car and it shot some sparks going down to my feet from around the ignition and now will not start. I've had this problem before and fixed it by wiggling where all the wires in the engine bay connect to. But I can't seem to get it right this time. I got under the dash and can't pinpoint the problem either. I do not have pictures at this moment, but what is the connector that basically all the wires from the engine bay, battery, tail lights and heat sensor connect to? I am absolutely terrible at wiring but I get the basic idea of it. The wiring in my corvair is really bad. But if I get some basic knowledge of it I will be able to figure it out quickly
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

It is the main harness connector I think you are talking about. Often corroded. Study the wiring diagram in the shop manual for more info.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

If you got sparks coming from under the dash you have an ignition wire shorting out, probably burned one off. You had better look at the ignition switch wires again. Look for melted coating on a wire or one that's touching another wire or ground.

Kalamazoo, Mi..
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

There is a large 13 pin multiconnector that is the primary connection point between the rear of the car and the instrument panel/dashboard area. Also, the ignition switch is a primary connection point for switched circuits (those that have power only when the key is ON).

All power routes from the battery to the fuse block and switched circuits via the 13 pin connector. Do you have headlights, horn, etc? If not, check that connector. If you have power to headlights, horn, etc., then check itens that only have power with the key ON. Do those items work when the key is ON? If so, does the starter engage when you turn the key to START? If not, check the ignition switch connector (purple wire to starter solenoid) and the NEUTRAL SAFETY SWITCH (if you have a Powerglide automatic transmission).

Click on the link below for wiring diagrams...

CORVAIR COMBINED WIRING SCHEMATIC DIAGRAMS
:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=12968
Brad Bodie
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

Blair wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:01 pm When I last ran my 64 monza Sunday afternoon, it was running and driving great. (Despite the oil leak) when I went in reverse to park it, it died. Tried to restart the car and it shot some sparks going down to my feet from around the ignition and now will not start.
Brad, did you notice he said he got sparks from under the dash??

Kalamazoo, Mi..
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

That is why I wanted more clearly defined symptoms. Does 'will not start" mean "will not crank the engine... no starter action? Something to do with the neutral safety switch or ignition switch?
Brad Bodie
Blair

Post by Blair »

No power at all.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

You need to start at the battery with a multimeter to determine how far the voltage is getting. First, do you measure voltage across the battery terminals? The 10 gauge Red wire then connects to the voltage regulator. Another 10R wire travels from the voltage regulator to the multiconnector in the engine compartment. A bad internal connection inside the engine compartment multiconnector is possible. You can unplug the two halves and check the condition of the metal connectors inside if necessary. Confirm that voltage is passing through the multiconnector, and 12 VDC is measured on the 10R wire exiting the multiconnector and entering the firewall.

A 13 pin multiconnector can be found in the dashboard area, near the instrument panel. The main voltage feed wire enters this multiconnector as 10R (Red) and exits as 10B (Black). The wiring diagram then indicates the 10B wire connects to a junction point in the wiring harness, where it divides...

1. MAIN LIGHT SWITCH

2. CIGARETTE LIGHTER (14R)

3. IGNITION SWITCH "R'" TERMINAL (12R)

4. FUSE BLOCK (16R)

5. TRUNK MULTICONNECTOR (14R) TO HORN RELAY IN TRUNK

None of the above connections that divide at the wiring harness junction are fused. If battery voltage makes it through the two multiconnectors to that wiring junction point, the headlights, cigarette lighter, and horn should work. They are not dependent on the ignition switch.The fuse block serves as a power distribution point for some devices, like the radio and windshield wipers. The stop light switch at the brake pedal taps its power from the light switch, so your brake lights should work if you have power to the headlights, horn, and cigarette lighter.

The instrument panel warning lights and ignition coil are dependent on the ignition switch. If the above items work, but the instrument panel warning lights don't function with the key ON, and the starter won't crank, your problem would be within the ignition switch assembly.

So use a multimeter and the wiring schematic to follow the voltage and see where it stops. The sparks you described should appear as burned or melted insulation or connectors, and should help you to identify the actual location of the electrical fault.
Brad Bodie
Trip

Post by Trip »

Any update here?

I've had problems with the main connector in the engine room actually melting through the plastic plug on not one but two EM cars and causing similar problems but never had sparks shooting from under the dash, that one is new to me! I did have the cigarette lighter wire insulation burst into flame under the dash once because the lighter got pushed in accidentally and didn't release, that was fun. What were they thinking making that thing un-fused! :angry:

Now any time I get my hands on a new Corvair one of the first things I do is unplug that connector, clean everything nice, and reassemble with dielectric grease as a preventative measure. I also put an insulator into the cigarette lighters and add a fuse to cigarette lighter leads now....
Ray "Trip" Rodriguez III
Gouldsboro, PA
66 Corsa 140 coupe
65 Corsa 180 Turbocharged coupe
64 Monza Convertible
61 Air conditioned Monza coupe (Missy's)
See them here: https://tinyurl.com/ydc7txrf

Return to “Corvair Talk”