corvairs in the United Kingdom

Anything Corvair related
guru_1071
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:38 am

corvairs in the United Kingdom

Unread post by guru_1071 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:50 am

ive been creating a spreadsheet of all the known, legally registered Corvairs that I can find in the U.K

my list doesn't include any Corvairs that I find that are not yet registered, as they cannot be road legal, but as and when the owners get them done I can add them to my list. the cars need to be 'live' so I can harvest all the data about them.

as my list stands now I have found

mk1

13 of

6 saloon
4 coupe
1 convertible
1 estate
1 commercial

mk2

14 of

1 saloon
7 coupe
6 convertible

of the mk2 3 have been exported (but I have kept them as they are known registration numbers) and one has been scrapped, one other is a mid mounted v8 conversion

only one single car on the list is a proper, genuine, period import, and that is a 1964 saloon registered 18/08/1964 (last on road in 2015)

14 of the Corvairs are currently taxed for use on the road

if anyone from the uk wants to p.m me with their registration number I can add them to the list if they are not on there already

User avatar
CorvairCon65
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:52 am

Re: corvairs in the United Kingdom

Unread post by CorvairCon65 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:26 am

Good work that man!

I think you have my registration number, if not it's PWT129C.

guru_1071
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:38 am

Re: corvairs in the United Kingdom

Unread post by guru_1071 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:57 am

yes I do

one of only three cars in the UK made at the Los Angeles factory!

1965 is the most popular year in the uk as well with ten of them over here

User avatar
Conspiracy
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:14 am

Re: corvairs in the United Kingdom

Unread post by Conspiracy » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:15 am

'62 Greenbrier Deluxe in Cornwall 917 YUC if you fancy adding the old girl!!

guru_1071
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:38 am

Re: corvairs in the United Kingdom

Unread post by guru_1071 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:59 am

I have it already

currently the only commercial that I know of!

Kevster
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:38 am
Location: West Wickham, Kent. UK.

Re: corvairs in the United Kingdom

Unread post by Kevster » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:00 pm

Do you have mine?

KPL 47C '65 but imported in 71 after it had been exported from US to the US embassy in Kuala Lumpa, Malaysia.

(Incidentally, KPL 49C is a mark 2 Jag that overtook my car with my mate driving on the way home from picking it up, I was following behind and was confronted with the 2 cars side by side and almost consecutive plates, what are the chances of that!)

Kev

Gary lot327
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:00 pm

Re: corvairs in the United Kingdom

Unread post by Gary lot327 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:12 am

guru_1071 wrote:ive been creating a spreadsheet of all the known, legally registered Corvairs that I can find in the U.K

my list doesn't include any Corvairs that I find that are not yet registered, as they cannot be road legal, but as and when the owners get them done I can add them to my list. the cars need to be 'live' so I can harvest all the data about them.

as my list stands now I have found

mk1

13 of

6 saloon
4 coupe
1 convertible
1 estate
1 commercial

mk2

14 of

1 saloon
7 coupe
6 convertible

of the mk2 3 have been exported (but I have kept them as they are known registration numbers) and one has been scrapped, one other is a mid mounted v8 conversion

only one single car on the list is a proper, genuine, period import, and that is a 1964 saloon registered 18/08/1964 (last on road in 2015)

14 of the Corvairs are currently taxed for use on the road

if anyone from the uk wants to p.m me with their registration number I can add them to the list if they are not on there already
Do you have mine 1963 convertible NWU 133A


Sent from my iPad using Corvair Forum mobile app

guru_1071
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:38 am

Re: corvairs in the United Kingdom

Unread post by guru_1071 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:50 am

Gary lot327 wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:12 am


Do you have mine 1963 convertible NWU 133A


Sent from my iPad using Corvair Forum mobile app
yes I do

currently the only mk1 convertible that I have found!

Gary lot327
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:00 pm

Re: corvairs in the United Kingdom

Unread post by Gary lot327 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:39 am

Good info, keep up the good work

Seems mine is quite rare in the UK even if there are some under the radar out there


Sent from my iPad using Corvair Forum mobile app

guru_1071
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:38 am

Re: corvairs in the United Kingdom

Unread post by guru_1071 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:23 am

Kevster wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:00 pm
Do you have mine?

KPL 47C '65 but imported in 71 after it had been exported from US to the US embassy in Kuala Lumpa, Malaysia.

(Incidentally, KPL 49C is a mark 2 Jag that overtook my car with my mate driving on the way home from picking it up, I was following behind and was confronted with the 2 cars side by side and almost consecutive plates, what are the chances of that!)

Kev
kev

no I don't, so I have added you

did you know your car was originally registered as MGW 345L as it will have got a 'new' registration number in 1972 when it was first brought over here?

it also used to be green

rich

breezerabbit
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:33 pm

Re: corvairs in the United Kingdom

Unread post by breezerabbit » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:04 am

Hi

You are welcome to my UK spreadsheet. woodstocklebird@gmail.com

Cheers
M

guru_1071
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:38 am

Re: corvairs in the United Kingdom

Unread post by guru_1071 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:06 am

just a small update, with the data that 'breezerabbit' has shared with me I now have the following known corvairs in the UK

33 vehicles, one of which is written off (so dead, but ive kept it as the registration was known), three of which have been exported (ditto)

so 29 cars that have good, solid data that I know the registration numbers for

of which

sixteen are currently taxed for use on the road.

Bertle
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:00 am

Re: corvairs in the United Kingdom

Unread post by Bertle » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:26 am

I have a '61 coupe but not UK registered yet, maybe next year.... However somewhere in the UK is my dad's old '64 spyder which I would love to find. It was a part of my childhood and the reason I set out to buy my own. It was white with a black interior and last seen on ebay in the early 2000's.

guru_1071
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:38 am

Re: corvairs in the United Kingdom

Unread post by guru_1071 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:26 am

Bertle wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:26 am
I have a '61 coupe but not UK registered yet, maybe next year.... However somewhere in the UK is my dad's old '64 spyder which I would love to find. It was a part of my childhood and the reason I set out to buy my own. It was white with a black interior and last seen on ebay in the early 2000's.
can you remember the registration number?

Bertle
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:00 am

Re: corvairs in the United Kingdom

Unread post by Bertle » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:47 pm

Sadly not, it was never on the road and dad had taken off lights, bumpers and plates. They were all with the car including the 64 spyder only wheel trims.

guru_1071
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:38 am

Re: corvairs in the United Kingdom

Unread post by guru_1071 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:20 am

I only know of 4 corvairs that where registered pre 2000 in the uk

they are

ONW 285B BLUE 500 COUPE (MINE)

PGF 64E RED 700 SALOON (FOR SALE NOW, BUT ITS A WRECK)

BLW 8B BLUE / SILVER 700 SALOON (IMPORTED INTO THE UK IN 1964 - SO A REAL SURVIVOR!)

BHE991B GREEN 900 COUPE

I haven't found any white 1964s yet....

Post Reply

Return to “Corvair Talk”