GM Designer’s Amazing One-Off: 1968 Molzon Corvair-Porsche Special

Anything Corvair related
JasonL

GM Designer’s Amazing One-Off: 1968 Molzon Corvair-Porsche Special

Post by JasonL »

If you have lots of cash here's a unique opportunity to have a one of a kind Corvair.

Read the listing here:
https://bringatrailer.com/2017/09/14/gm ... e-special/

This car is sold without an official title, but was reportedly designed and built between 1963 and 1968 by ex-GM designer William Molzon, a contemporary and close friend of the legendary Larry Shinoda. The car is tiny, measuring just 11.5′ long, 38″ high and 62″ wide. It’s very pretty too, with heavy Alfa overtones despite overall being a very distinct design. A scanned period Road & Track feature on Molzon and his car explains it was conceived to offer “acceleration superior to a Corvette with the economy of a Corvair and the handling capabilities of a Lotus.” Toward that end it uses a fiberglass body over a tubular spaceframe, with motivation provided by a built Corvair air-cooled boxer six sending “200+” HP through a Porsche 5-speed. Weight is given as less than 1,200 pounds, and performance is reportedly shocking even by modern standards. The car has only 958 miles from new but remains in excellent, fully functional condition, and though we’d love to own and drive it, we’ve got to agree with the seller that it probably belongs in a museum. Find it here on eBay in Risingsun, Ohio with a $125k BIN. Special thanks to BaT reader Rob D. for this submission.
terribleted

Re: GM Designer’s Amazing One-Off: 1968 Molzon Corvair-Porsche Special

Post by terribleted »

This is a very cool car. Too bad it is about 10 times my budget:/
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
pweber5

Post by pweber5 »

That's really cool. At 1200 lbs with 200 horsepower that's got to be a quick car. It reminds me of the Ferrari 330 P3/P4 with it's strong Coke bottle shape and generally rounded sides and greenhouse.

Ferrari 330 P4

In the same vein, Car Design News recently had an article (http://cardesignnews.com/articles/conce ... ports-cars) discussing the Corvair sports concept cars of the 1960s designed by Larry Shinoda and others. I've actually seen two of the concepts (the Monza GT and the Monza SS), and it's shocking how small and delicate they are compared to today's thick and heavy cars.
Spike65

Post by Spike65 »

The body is a copy of the P3/P4 sports racer and not an Alfa. This is one of the most desirable Ferrari sports racers. Very rare.
Gorgeous copy

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app

Return to “Corvair Talk”