Need engine work on 63 Spyder

Anything Corvair related
davette59

Need engine work on 63 Spyder

Post by davette59 »

I have restored my 63 Spyder and it is a really good looking car and has won some trophies. The last time I took it to Helen, I could just barely get up the hills in first gear. The turbo has never worked. I did drive it for about two years and it ran really smooth but no pep. Head temp got really high when going up long climbs (about 400 to 450 ). The engine doesn't smoke at all. Recently the threads got stripped on one plug so I haven't driven it. I have been trying to get someone to work on the engine, maybe a top end rebuild, for four years. I had two friends that are good Corvair mechanics that promised to help but just never got the time. I totally understand this should not be a priority for someone just helping you out. So, I contacted three shops that specifically work on Corvairs. One kept promising to fit me in for about a year and a half before giving up on him. I contacted two other shops and they were to call me back when they could work on it. No calls. I have a beautiful Corvair just sitting for years that I would really like to drive and take to cruise-ins and shows. I have not been asking anyone to do this for nothing, I am totally willing to pay a reasonable price to get it done. I am not capable of doing the work myself or I would attempt it.
Can anyone help me out with some recommendations or advice? I live in the Nashville area.
funvairs

Re: Need engine work on 63 Spyder

Post by funvairs »

I realize that they are just over 400 miles from you but, if you can trailer the car, Chair City Corvair Center in Lexington NC is a thought.
Chris Brown

Corvanatics: Director at Large
Ultra Van Motor Coach Club Vice President
CORSA
davette59

Re: Need engine work on 63 Spyder

Post by davette59 »

That was one of the shops that was going to call me back but didn't. Possibly they lost my name and number, I will try to contact them again. Thanks for your input. I'm reaching the point where I am going to give up on Corvairs altogether and buy something I can get worked on and be able to drive. I have a lot of money tied up in this car and it just sits in the garage. What a shame.

Return to “Corvair Talk”