0 for 2...

Anything Corvair related
Motornoggin
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

0 for 2...

Post by Motornoggin »

Last time I tried to take a drive with my wife in the Corsa we threw a fan belt.

I think I have that issue resolved *knocking on wood*.

This time it was the fuel pump, but it let us get 50 miles away from home before it decided to quit.

Luckily I had a few tools along (to make sure the belt stays on) and we were half a block away from a Lowe's so I could buy a screw driver. I took the lines off and had fuel into the pump, but none out. I took the pump apart and found the diaphrams to be intact but coated in a little grunge. I wiped the grunge out, put the pump back together and after a little cranking, it fired. It ran good enough to get us home. It was frustrating, but it could have been a lot worse.

I guess it's just part of having a 45 year old car. They need attention. I'm going to take car of this issue and go over it all to make sure there isn't something else that may bite me.
terribleted

Re: 0 for 2...

Post by terribleted »

Electric pump for the win in my opinion.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
Motornoggin
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by Motornoggin »

Electric pump is indeed in my future. Soon.
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

It's a bit of a pain, but I'd recommend dropping the fuel tank and giving 'er a good inspection and cleaning, internal sealing, and reinstall. There can be a lot of junk in old fuel tanks.
Last edited by Gregory_Miller on Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Motornoggin
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by Motornoggin »

I put a brand new tank and sending unit/pick up it it a little over a year ago. I flushed the lines but there may still be some gunk in there. I've driven it a couple times since and it's been o.k., but I'm still going to put the electric pump in and a new filter.

Return to “Corvair Talk”