Barn find in Oklahoma

Anything Corvair related
dudedad64

Barn find in Oklahoma

Post by dudedad64 »

1964 700 4 door, never owned one before, I think that this one is worth saving, I've done paint body work for 20 years and I have only done a few corvair, but that's been 15 years or so since I changed carriers. Looking forward to fixing this one up. I have learned quite a bit of information from reading some of the post, and appreciate any advice. Image

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Corvair Forum mobile app

bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Barn find in Oklahoma

Post by bbodie52 »

:wave: :welcome2: :wave: Welcome to the Corvair Forum!

If the body is solid on your "barn find", and you possess the all too rare skills in body repair, it would seem that you are way ahead of the game. The 1964 Corvair was the product of five model years of refinement and improvements. GM took the swing axle rear suspension just about as far as they could — ultimately replacing it with a copy of the rear suspension from the Corvette of that period in 1965. The addition of a standard front stabilizer bar and rear transverse leaf spring (along with new coil spring rates) did a pretty good job of stabilizing and controlling the swing axle suspension design. The engine was increased to 164 CI by lengthening the crankshaft stroke, which increased horsepower and torque for improved performance. The cooling fan was redesigned and manufactured from magnesium to reduce the weight and "flywheel effects" that would place a lot of stress on the Corvair fan belt as the early design steel cooling fan constantly fought engine speed changes, with the fan belt placed in the middle of a "tug-of-war" between the cooling fan and the crankshaft pulley. The magnesium blower and belt guides did a lot for improving fan belt reliability. Corvairs used to have a reputation for leaking oil from the pushrod tube seals. The production of O rings made from VITON made a huge difference, as the new material tolerated the high engine heat found an air cooled engines much better than the earlier materials.

Maintenance of the Corvair engine is something of a crossover between automotive engines and motorcycle engines. The use of multiple carburetors and an air cooled aluminum engine might seem familiar to a motorcycle mechanic, but takes the conventional automobile mechanic into uncertain territory. If you follow the shop manual instructions and make use of a torque wrench and anti-seize compound to help protect the soft threads found in the aluminum engine, you shouldn't have any problem. If you have questions, websites like the Corvair Forum and local CORSA club chapters go a long way in helping you to accomplish mechanical tasks on your Corvair.

The mechanical side of working on Corvair engines, transaxles, suspension and brakes are relatively easy to learn. Replacement components from sources like Clark's Corvair Parts are plentiful, as are excellent interior upholstery and carpeting reproductions to help you with interior restoration, as needed.

The link below will provide you with a list of useful websites that are Corvair-related. Some of the links will lead you to an extensive technical library that will allow you to download shop manuals and other technical references in Adobe Reader format at no cost. There is also a link that will help you to locate nearby CORSA (Corvair Society of America) club chapters. While the Corvair Forum can be very helpful as you work on your Corvair, having local friends and contacts in your region who are knowledgeable about the Corvair can also be very helpful. These family-friendly CORSA chapters often offer picnics, group scenic drives, technical training and assistance, car shows, and competition events that can greatly enhance your enjoyment of Corvair ownership. You will also find a list of essential Corvair parts suppliers. Clark's Corvair Parts is the biggest and oldest Corvair supplier in the world. You will find a link that can provide you with a series of videos that amount to a tour of the Clark's Corvair Parts facilities. I think you will be amazed at the quality of the reproduction components they offer — particularly the interior carpeting and re-upholstery items. Parts suppliers such as this truly make our Corvair hobby possible.

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007

Assuming that you live in Oklahoma, there are two CORSA club chapters in that state…
ImageCentral Oklahoma Corvair Association
Midwest City/Oklahoma City Area :link: http://www.cokcca.org/

Image Green Country Corvair Group
Tulsa Area Corvair Club :link: http://tulsacorvair.com/dokuwiki/doku.php

:dontknow: I would like to encourage you to expand on your initial post and tell us more about yourself. If you can describe your personal assessment of your mechanical skills and abilities, that would help a lot. Members of the Corvair Forum love to be helpful in assisting other Corvair owners with technical support and advice, but it helps a lot if we have some understanding of your technical background and mechanical abilities, Corvair-related knowledge, etc. Helping us to know more about you will help us to write comments to you that are tailored to your needs and experience. Knowing your location is also useful, because knowing where you live can sometimes suggest possibilities.

:welcome:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
dudedad64

Post by dudedad64 »

First I would like to say thanks, I live in Norman Oklahoma, like I stated in my first post I've done paint and body work for over 20 years, building numerous cars over the years, several of which were in car shows. I have been into cars since I was a youngster, shade tree mechanic you could say. Im excited to start on the corvair, body is solid with minimal rust (3 small spots in floor panels, still cleaning it up so not sure just how far I need to go with but it's all there and the price was just right ( $80 ) again thanks for the info, it's always good to get several opinions on whatever I'm about to take on. Thanks again, looking forward to exchanging information.

wilashlock

Post by wilashlock »

dudedad64 wrote:First I would like to say thanks, I live in Norman Oklahoma, like I stated in my first post I've done paint and body work for over 20 years, building numerous cars over the years, several of which were in car shows. I have been into cars since I was a youngster, shade tree mechanic you could say. Im excited to start on the corvair, body is solid with minimal rust (3 small spots in floor panels, still cleaning it up so not sure just how far I need to go with but it's all there and the price was just right ( $80 ) again thanks for the info, it's always good to get several opinions on whatever I'm about to take on. Thanks again, looking forward to exchanging information.

Welcome from Central Oklahoma Corvair Association

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
toytron

Post by toytron »

Welcome. nice find. Do us proud!

Ed Stevenson

Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair corsa convertible turbo