How to remove a 64 vair trunk lock without key ?

Anything Corvair related
Carolinecorvairgirl

How to remove a 64 vair trunk lock without key ?

Post by Carolinecorvairgirl »

I am having trouble unlocking my trunk. I have keys it's just when I bought my car someone tried to unlock the trunk lock already with God knows what it was,but now the lock is ruined.Any ideas ?
terribleted

Re: How to remove a 64 vair trunk lock without key ?

Post by terribleted »

Remove headlamp bezel, remove headlamp assembly, reach in and push lock cylinder retaining clip off lock, remove lock cylinder and use screwdriver to open lid. Easier said than done but it is possible.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:welcome2: :wave: Welcome to the Corvair Forum!

Hopefully some of the information and llinks below will be helpful...

Opening Corvair trunk without a key
:link: http://www.vv.corvair.org/pipermail/vir ... 47558.html

ImageImage
:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... ow_page=90
Eurobilly wrote:Lost my key of my corvair 1963 how do I open the trunk?
Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:02 pm

My experience was with my LM but it is the same with an EM. I think you need a phillips head screw driver and a 1/2" wrench....
1- Remove the headlamp bezel - held in by 3 or so screws.
2- Remove the headlamp assembly - held in by another 3 or so screws then disconnect the headlights from the harness. On a LM the horn is now visible
3- Remove the headlamp bucket - attached to the body by 5 or so screws. Push the bucket into the trunk. It is sealed to the body so expect some resistance.
4- Reach into the trunk thru the hole you just opened (toward the center - right behind the lock) and unbolt the latch. :checkeredflag:
No photo needed - the "sealed beam replacement" figure in the Body & Chassis Electrical section of the Shop Manual shows an exploded view. I bet you are in the trunk in under 15 minutes. :tu:
Good luck! Hope you don't find a body in there! :pray:
How to Open the Trunk of my 62?
:link: http://corvaircenter.com/phorum/read.ph ... 198,719360

The following Corvair Forum link can provide you with a list of useful websites that should be helpful as a Corvair owner...

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

Corvair Forum :link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007

:dontknow: I would like to encourage you to expand on your initial post and tell us more about yourself. If you can describe your personal assessment of your mechanical skills and abilities, that would help a lot. Members of the Corvair Forum love to be helpful in assisting other Corvair owners with technical support and advice, but it helps a lot if we have some understanding of your technical background and mechanical abilities, Corvair-related knowledge, etc. Helping us to know more about you will help us to write comments to you that are tailored to your needs and experience. Knowing your location is also useful, because knowing where you live can sometimes suggest possibilities.

:welcome:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Carolinecorvairgirl

Post by Carolinecorvairgirl »

Thank you guys
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

So what you're saying is you have a key but the lock does not turn???????????? Did you WD-40 the lock?? Here is a photo of the clip that holds the lock in, just push it up & you can remove the lock, then use a small screwdriver to turn the mechanism & open the lid.
Attachments
Lock 001.jpg
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..

Return to “Corvair Talk”