Restored '64 Monza

Anything Corvair related
sooner

Restored '64 Monza

Post by sooner »

It's been a long time since I've been on this forum, but I finally got my '64 Monza back from being restored! Been in the shop for 1.5yrs. When I drove it away, it took no more than 20 minutes before it was overheating again :doh: So, I towed it to a mechanic who has worked on Corvairs. He pulled the engine shroud and cleaned out all of the debris (it was sitting before I bought it), which you guys told me was the problem in Feb. 2016. This guy finally listened to me and corrected the issue. He put on new shocks, fixed oil leaks, among a few other things. The car was badly rusted, so I'm happy we were able to get her new metal and paint, etc. Kept the original chrome where possible; still waiting for one piece now. Posting a couple of pics of the new body work and paint job.

I do have a question: while driving super hot air is blowing on my feet. Not sure why this is happening. The hot air is coming from a vent below the driver's door. Probably coming from the engine, but I don't know if this is "normal", I can't imagine. If y'all have any thoughts, please let me know.

Thanks!
Attachments
IMG_1959.JPG
IMG_1932.JPG
toytron

Re: Restored '64 Monza

Post by toytron »

She is looking beautiful! Still time to drive it this year, woo hoo

Ed Stevenson

Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair corsa convertible turbo
65 corvair monza
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

Rotated.
Attachments
Untitled64.jpg
Untitled64.jpg (93.45 KiB) Viewed 685 times
Untitled64-2.jpg
Untitled64-2.jpg (72.83 KiB) Viewed 685 times
file64-2.jpg
file 64.jpg
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

The "vent" below the drivers door is the heater output. Yes the heat does come from the engine. This is normal operation if heat is selected and defrost is not selected. The heater is supposed to block the flow of heat to these heater outlets when the heat lever is up (heat not on). There is a flapper door in the heater box above the transaxle that is supposed to block the hot air flow in this condition. You likely have bad seals on this flapper door allowing some heated air through, or the cable that operates the door from the dash lever is not functioning properly leaving the door In the heater open and heat flowing. Inspect for proper opening and closing of the flapper door at the heater box. If the door is operating then rebuilding the box with new seals will likely be needed. Hope this helps you find your issue.

Note: there should also be hot air at the passengers footwell through the passenger side vent. Also note that when defrost is selected that there are flapper doors behind the footwell vents on both sides that close these vents and allow the hot air to flow forward to the defrost vents. For defrost you need to select heat and defrost levers pushed in. Heat lever allows hot air into the system and the defrost lever moves both flappers close the footwell vents and allow the air to go all the way to the dash. Best function of defroster requires good seals (foam) on these flappers (usually the foam is rotted away, as are the foam seals in the heater box itself).
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
sooner

Post by sooner »

Thank you so much for the info!! I will check this out ASAP. And, yes, it happens on the passenger side, as well. We drove her last night and I was in the passenger seat and felt the heat. I think we will come across all sorts of things like this as we are able to drive the car. We've only been able to drive her for the past 48 hours:) Again, thank you!
sooner

Post by sooner »

Thanks everyone, I depressed the levers on the heater and it solved the problem. While I still feel a little heat, it's nothing like it was. Appreciate y'all!
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

When you depress the levers it opens the heater & defroster, sounds like you just diverted the air flow to the defrosters. :dontknow: With the levers pulled up you close the heater if you have good seals on the heater doors.

Kalamazoo, Mi..
sooner

Post by sooner »

LOL! I meant that I pulled them closed. Thx for setting the record straight! Long day at work, I guess😊
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

That sounds better!! ::-):
Attachments
6-24-17 011.jpg

Kalamazoo, Mi..
gaylon

Post by gaylon »

Beautiful!
Do you have some pics of the engine and interior?
Very nice!....gm

Return to “Corvair Talk”