Retrofitting TPMS

Anything Corvair related
Vairamp

Retrofitting TPMS

Post by Vairamp »

Has anyone had any experience installing a TPMS transmitting module in the wheels and the receiver in the cab/car? I don't mean the ones that you attach to your valve stem.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
thewolfe
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Retrofitting TPMS

Post by thewolfe »

Only experience I have with TPMS is in my subaru and I hate it! If you change to a different wheel you have to get new modules or switch yours over. If you get new modules then you have to reprogram the ecu to recognize them and if you want to switch wheels back and forth, reprogram the ecu every time. Perfect example: winter tires and summer tires. Only problem is you cannot program it yourself. It takes a multi thousand dollar dealer tool to do it so you're stuck taking your car to the dealer every time you want to switch wheels. Unless you want deal with the stupid dash light on all the time that you can't turn off. So there's my rant about tpms but I'm sure aftermarket options are not as annoying. Even so, I wouldn't waste the time or money in my car. A simple tire gauge works well enough for me.
Nate Wolfe
65 Corsa 180
61 Lakewood 140
Vairamp

Re: Retrofitting TPMS

Post by Vairamp »

My tires are nail magnets. Looks good at home but ... a slow leak on the highway becomes a big issue at the wrong time. I have a Subaru also but another car I have has an excellent TPMS. I switch my snows and all season every year, for about the last 9 Years. Never had an issue. I understand that the aftermarket TPMS don't need a computer to program. Safety on the highway, I believe is worth it. I have swapped out flats on dark rainy nights, on the highway. Not something I want to experience again. Although AAA is a good option.
Has anyone installed a aftermarket TPMS? "Just the facts Ma'am/Sir"

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app

Return to “Corvair Talk”