Transmission Mount.

Anything Corvair related
TheCommish

Transmission Mount.

Post by TheCommish »

:helpsos:
I believe my drivers side mount is either broke or ready to break.
Engine is down on the side about 1 1/2 inches. Could it be just the old rubber is gone?
So difficult to see. I need opinions as to continue to drive it this way for a few more weeks.
:helpsos:
terribleted

Re: Transmission Mount.

Post by terribleted »

Likely will not fall down. There is a big metal washer at the top of the mount that keeps it from falling down thru the hole the rubber is potted into. A few more weeks will likely not cause an issue as long as then throttle linkage is not in a bind. Can cause throttle linkage damage or possibly bind from things being forced out of normal alignment. And yes I said MOUNTS...do both not just the one unless the other is perfect (no dry rot), not likely unless it has been changed recently. When you order your new mounts order the special bent wrench Clark's sells for this job and I highly recommend new bolts as well. The bolts on these tend to be pretty rusty and the top of them is impossible to hold onto with any standard 9/16" wrench I have seen. (you could always take a 9/16 box wrench and your torch to bend the wrench 90 degrees to make a tool to fit:))
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
TheCommish

Post by TheCommish »

I have looked at the 2 rusty mounts, the one on the drivers side, there is a gap between rubber and rust, still think its hanging in there...your opinion?
Attachments
IMG_2031.JPG
IMG_2028.JPG
IMG_2029.JPG
IMG_2032.JPG
IMG_2033.JPG
IMG_2030.JPG
IMG_2031.JPG
IMG_2031.JPG
IMG_2030.JPG
IMG_2032.JPG
IMG_2033.JPG
IMG_2028.JPG
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Those are junk replace them both.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.

TheCommish

Post by TheCommish »

Agree, I need a step by step on replacement, know of any Video's?
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

There are 2 bolts. 2 nuts, 2 lockwashers that hold the mounts to the car. There is a big nut and a cotter pin that hold the transmission crossmember to the mount. First disconnect any linkages or wiring that might get stretched or bent when you lower the front of the powertrain a few inches. Next properly support the transaxle on your favorite floor jack so that the front of the powertrain can be lowered a couple inches staying level. With the transaxle jacked up, remove the cotter pins and mounting nuts. Lower the front of the powertrain enough to get the crossmember down off the mounts plus a couple inches. Then simply remove the 2 bolts, 2 nuts, and 2 lockwashers that hold each mount to the car and remove them. Reverse procedure to reassemble. The special bent 90 degree 9/16 wrench that Clark's sells would be used to hold the top of the mount mounting bolts for removal or installation. I highly recommend getting one.

Looking at your photos make sure you have new hardware for mounting the mounts as well as new castle nuts and cotter pins. Yours are in pretty poor condition. I have had to cut the castle nuts to get them off before due to rust so new ones to go on the new mounts are a good thing.

TheCommish

Post by TheCommish »

Thanks a million!

Return to “Corvair Talk”