Axle Dipstick

Anything Corvair related
Mr.G

Axle Dipstick

Post by Mr.G »

64 Spyder. I need to know how long the axle Dipstick should be. I think someone put an oil dipstick in my car causing me to over fill the axle and have it all leak out within a day. The dipstick in there now is the exact length as the oil dipstick. I had filled it through the dipstick tube, today the dipstick read empty so I got under the car and removed the plug and it started to leak out so it is full. I was thinking I had a major leak when I got the car last year and now am wondering if the leak was caused by the axle being over filled. Your Thoughts ? Thanks
64powerglide

Re: Axle Dipstick

Post by 64powerglide »

My 64 with a powerglide is 19 inches with a slight curve. From the tip to the full mark is 2 & 1/2 inches.
Attachments
dip stick 001.jpg
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
Mr.G

Post by Mr.G »

Thanks, I have a 4 speed but I would assume they share the same axle. I also read that the 4 speed transmission and axle share the oil, strange because both have their own plug but it would make sense if when used with the powerglide the axle would be separate oil.
Mr.G

Post by Mr.G »

OK, so the one in there now is 14 1/2, same as the oil dipstick. I made one 19" and now it shows full ! I hope that this was the cause of the leak.

Return to “Corvair Talk”