Assembly Required

Anything Corvair related
margejm

Assembly Required

Post by margejm »

Just purchased an 63 Monza from a nice gentleman in Florida. He had it completely stripped, prepped and painted. He also purchased all new interior, engine component rebuilds, new gas tank, lines sending unit, brakes, lines....basically everything needed to put together a show car. I currently own a 65 corsa turbo and love it. I am super excited to get this up to my neck of the woods and put it all together. Wish me luck....I will likely call on all of you if I run into issues. Newer to the Corvair religion, so still learning my way and will appreciate all the guidance once I get started.

Sent from my iPad using Corvair Forum mobile app
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Assembly Required

Post by bbodie52 »

:wave: :welcome2: :clap: Welcome to the Corvair Forum! And congratulations on your purchase of a "new" Corvair kit car (some assembly required). I started with my first Corvair project car/learning machine in 1969 when i was sixteen years old. My father bought a 1963 Corvair 500 with a frozen engine for $100. He provided me with a garage, tools, floor jack, jack stands, shop manuals, and funds for parts and machine shop work. He had been transferred from Northern California (San Jose) to Lockheed Burbank in Southern California. The car was to be my summer learning project during my summer vacation, but since he was to be out of town, I was on my own. While i watched Neil Armstrong explore the moon on TV, I explored my Corvair and managed to successfully remove the powertrain, overhauled the engine, rebuilt the Powerglide automatic transmission, and reinstalled everything while doing no serious damage to myself.

I mention all of this as (hopefully) a tale of encouragement. If i could do it with just a shop manual (no Internet, No Corvair Forum, etc.) you can see where you have many advantages to help you.

Please post pictures and keep in touch as you get started. You should find ample advice and support here. The following link should help you to get started...

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007

:dontknow: I would like to encourage you to expand on your initial post and tell us more about yourself, your Corvair, and your goals for the Corvair. If you can describe your personal assessment of your mechanical skills and abilities, that would help a lot. Members of the Corvair Forum love to be helpful in assisting other Corvair owners with technical support and advice, but it helps a lot if we have some understanding of your technical background and mechanical abilities, Corvair-related knowledge, etc. Helping us to know more about you will help us to write comments to you that are tailored to your needs and experience. Knowing your location is also useful, because knowing where you live can sometimes suggest possibilities.

:welcome:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
margejm

Re: Assembly Required

Post by margejm »

Thank you for the nice welcome and encouragement. This is actually my second Corvair purchase. I bought my first one last year and just loved it. I am not yet sure what it is about these cars, but I do find them enjoyable, unique and a great drive. Besides this project, and my first Corvair (1965 Corsa turbo) I own a 76 Datsun 280z. I just sold a 69 Corvette as I did not enjoy that car like I do the Z or the Corvair. I am fairly mechanically inclined, but I have never taken apart and rebuilt an engine. Have done brakes, bearings, fuel/brake lines, master cylinder replace, and other general engine work. Putting everything else together does not concern me, but the engine will be a bit new for me. I have never done this, but encouraged to hear how you succeeded in yours at such a young age. However, I am up for the challenge. Besides, it seems like the Corvair community is a very helpful group of folks from all I read on the forum.

My goal for the 63 is to make her show quality with a some minor unseen engine improvements such as increased bore, better pistons, rods, cam, etc. Now for my 65, once I get through the 63 I would like to also rebuild the turbo engine, maybe modify with Weber carb and methanol injection. Also looking for improved distributor set up. Then it will be stripped and repainted evening orchid with all new chrome finishes and improved wire wheels.

All of this however will be done in between the family activities, but I will use it to teach my youngest three girls about cars. I have 6 kids total, with 2 grandchildren and just passed my mid 40s. Thankfully I have also been blessed by a very supportive and lovely wife who has encouraged me to do this. She will be venturing down to Florida with me to pack and transport back.

Once I get started I will keep everyone informed of progress and may document through YouTube ( if I dare to expose some likely embarrassing moments in the process). Wish me luck and thanks again for the welcome and encouragement.Image

Sent from my iPad using Corvair Forum mobile app

Return to “Corvair Talk”