Convertible Top- Color Suggestions? PS- Know any installers in MA?

Anything Corvair related
BeanWagon

Convertible Top- Color Suggestions? PS- Know any installers in MA?

Post by BeanWagon »

Looking to finally have my top replaced on the 1962 Monza. The car is white. The interior is red. The current top on it is black (has a couple small cuts and bad stitching around the rear window). A friend suggested going with a white top, making the argument that if the top is up the white looks better. I've also been considering going with a red top, but I am questioning whether or not that is too intense. Not a huge fan of how the black looks, but know it is pretty common, easy to keep clean, etc. What do you guys think? I am leaning towards black just because that seems like the common choice, I am very intrigued by red though, but also very skeptical and nervous how it would look. Current pictures attached....

Also, anyone have an installer they would recommend? I am located in Worcester Massachusetts, AKA central Mass.
Attachments
Corvair1.JPG
Corvair2.JPG
Corvair3.JPG
Corvair4.JPG
64powerglide

Re: Convertible Top- Color Suggestions? PS- Know any installers in MA?

Post by 64powerglide »

I guess either black or white would look the best. Red?????? Maybe Clark's Corvair Parts could give you a lead on some upholstery shops somewhere near you. I did a quick look on E-Bay and saw this white top one & it looks better then I thought would. Before seeing this white one I would have said black.
Attachments
21.jpg
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
BeanWagon

Post by BeanWagon »

Yes, I actually stumbled on that same one on Ebay. I'm too indecisive!
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

Either way you have one great looking 62. My first Corvair was 62 Coupe black with red interior, I ordered it before the Spyder or convert option was available, Nov. of 61. I think the 62 looks better than any other early model.
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

You said "easy to keep clean" and that's a big point. Along the Calif. coast if a seagull poops on a white or colored top (cloth are the worst) - it's ruined. At least with a black top you can get out the black magic marker to fix stains. You can put a treatment on an older black top to make it look nice, but a white top just tends to look off color as it ages no matter what you do.

The other issue is a convertible tends to look great with the top down, not so much with the top up. A black top looks smaller and makes the car look lower.

Just my opinion, nobody said you had to be practical - it's your car so do what you like.

Return to “Corvair Talk”