1963 Monza 2+2 help!

Anything Corvair related
63BT

Re: 1963 Monza 2+2 help!

Post by 63BT »

Geez, even Wiki will back me up on this. I remembered there was also a Pontiac 2+2 and it seems that the 1964 Catalina performance model was badged as a 2+2.

Wiki credits it to the Euros and the seating of cars like Ferrari .. 2 front and 2 rear but we all know that the massive Catalina could seat three in the rear with no problem.

Massive as they were, in a Car & Driver test, Walt Hansgen I believe was at the wheel in a 2+2 Catalina and was giving the Ferrari 2+2 a hard time at Lime Rock. That whale could actually take corners.

The famed Car & Driver "shoot out" between the Ferrari GTO and the Pontiac GTO never happened. It was a paper match and later it was revealed that the "389" Pontiac was actually a Royal Oak 421. They cheated? :evil:

Last bit of Pontiac trivia: I actually saw and tested with a magnet, an aluminum body GTO. They were out there.
Greybeard
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Greybeard »

63BT wrote:The famed Car & Driver "shoot out" between the Ferrari GTO and the Pontiac GTO never happened. It was a paper match and later it was revealed that the "389" Pontiac was actually a Royal Oak 421. They cheated? :evil:
I've always been on the lookout for interesting cars, and have been known to buy cars just to keep rare parts from being destroyed, or because the car was seriously underpriced.
One day, at my Real Estate office, I overheard a young man telling an Agent that he would like to take a rental but needed to sell a car first. The Agent asked what it was and he said "a '66 Pontiac wagon with tri-power", price $500. I waited impatiently for them to finish their conversation, and when the guy got up to leave I went over and introduced myself and asked about the car. I followed him to his house, looked at it and bought it thinking the tri-power was worth the price, and the car was in nice condition, and ran great. The key chain was Royal Oak Pontic. It came with another set of gears, 4.30s. ?? I parked it for months, and then one day went out and pulled the engine/tranny to put in a '64 Tempest 'vert I picked up. The engine turned out to have ported and polished heads, intake port matched to them, had 4bolt mains, forged crank, and evidence of machine work. After the rebuild and installation in the '64 we had to name the car "Tire Smoke" 'cause that's what it did best.
'66 Corsa, 455 Olds
http://greybeard.shutterfly.com/
Mike
63BT

Post by 63BT »

Being in the right place at the right time is the game. Every time I had a deal, I did not know what I had or I flat out blew it (well two times), in two cases. Of course with two kids I was always doing "what was right by the family".

Sounds like you have had some real cool stuff?

Return to “Corvair Talk”