Volkswagen cooling theory?

Anything Corvair related
Vamisk

Volkswagen cooling theory?

Post by Vamisk »

So i've recently learned that volkswagen drivers in stop and go traffic occasionally keep the engine revved at lights so that the fan can push more air around. My question is, does this also apply to a Corvair, or does it do anything other than just build up more heat?
1961 110hp Monza coupe
spyderman64

Re: Volkswagen cooling theory?

Post by spyderman64 »

Unless the car has a mechanical problem it's not necessary to rev the engine at low speeds. That's why Corvairs make good parade cars -- they don't overheat in town.
Vamisk

Post by Vamisk »

That's what i was thinking, it seems counter intuitive to rev it to cool it. I believe i read somewhere that the Corvair is very good at cooling itself between 30-45 mph.
1961 110hp Monza coupe
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

At idle the Corvair cooling is more than adequate. GM tested these cars at the summer test grounds in over 100 F temps. Of course if the engine tin seals are bad then you are going to recycle hot air when stopped.
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

I'm in Arizona and never worry about engine cooling at idle. I set my idle up slightly higher in the summer because I want more airflow through the A/C condenser and a few more RPMs on the compressor. It keeps the A/C about 5 degrees cooler while not moving. If I know I have a long wait ahead I'll pop it in neutral (automatic tranny).
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door

Return to “Corvair Talk”