Lowering

Anything Corvair related
Jeromie78

Lowering

Post by Jeromie78 »

So what's the best way to bring my 63 closer to the pavement? Should i cut a couple coils out of the springs or go with a different way. I just want to take a couple inches out of the ground clearance for now, eventually i'll go with an airbag suspension...
County98

Re: Lowering

Post by County98 »

I'm not 100% sure on EM's, but on LM's cutting coils is fairly common. Another option is ordering HD springs. I ordered custom springs from Coil Spring Specialties and they came out perfect.
Cheers!

-Shayne
Lawton, OK

'66 Corsa work in progress
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=8079
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Heavy Duty repro spring do not lower it much...at best 3/4" usually less than 1/2". I w2ould be leery of cutting 2 coils. I have run cut 1 on a late model before and could bottom the suspension (1/2 height bump stops) on a good bump. 2 coils and it would likely bottom all the time. Start small.... springs also seat best if heated down flat again after cutting.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
Jeromie78

Post by Jeromie78 »

Thanks for information

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

I bought some progressive wound 3 in drop springs from a company in St Louis. Dropped the car 3 inches.........and it does not bounce like most lowered cars. I originally cut 2 coils off my front springs. It took less than 2 months for both springs started to sag.

terribleted

Post by terribleted »

hrm2k wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:29 pm I bought some progressive wound 3 in drop springs from a company in St Louis. Dropped the car 3 inches.........and it does not bounce like most lowered cars. I originally cut 2 coils off my front springs. It took less than 2 months for both springs started to sag.

Properly engineered progressive lowering springs would be a very good choice. They should always keep in contact with the upper and lower mounts (cut springs may not with the suspension extended) and should get stiff enough in near full compression to help keep the suspension from bottoming and do so before any spring bind might occur.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
Jeromie78

Post by Jeromie78 »

cool, i'll have to check on some of those. thanks for the input hrm2k

Return to “Corvair Talk”