lug nut thief

Anything Corvair related
steve57

lug nut thief

Post by steve57 »

I was out in the garage this morning replacing the front brake pads on my Scion XD. After I got that done I decided to check the wheel lug torque on my Corvair since I had the torque wrench out. So i get the the appropriate size 13/16 socket for the chrome acorn style nuts and start checking the right front wheel. First and second nut OK but third nut socket is to big ? I had A WTH ? moment. I know all these nuts were the same size because I put them on myself. I get a smaller socket to take it off and find it's only on finger tight. it looks similar to to the others but it's a 12mm nut. Someone has stolen one of my lug nuts and stuck another on so I wouldn"t notice it missing! This could have only happened at work as it's the only place I leave it unattended for any length of time. In a Fenced in parking lot only accessible by employees! I shudder to think if they would have taken more than one what could have happened as part of my commute to and from work is on 9 miles freeway at 70 mph. I probably will never drive my Corvair to work again.
Steve
Bakersfield,CA
1969 monza coupe
110, 4speed

Return to “Corvair Talk”