Should I be mad or flattered?

Anything Corvair related
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

My artwork is on the white shirt, another artists work is on the red shirt...Image

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
Joe B

Re: Should I be mad or flattered?

Post by Joe B »

It's the same picture, same guy, same price, only the shirt is now red and the image has a square and outer ring is complete. The image appears to be the same. I think the white one looks better. Are they being sold on the same website? If you have the image protected I'd go after the guy. If not, I'd be flattered. As I said, the white looks better.
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

Joe B wrote:It's the same picture, same guy, same price, only the shirt is now red and the image has a square and outer ring is complete. The image appears to be the same. I think the white one looks better. Are they being sold on the same website? If you have the image protected I'd go after the guy. If not, I'd be flattered. As I said, the white looks better.
Whoever made the red one clearly doesn't understand layers in photoshop.

The problem nowadays is it's so expensive to get a lawyer no one bothers and so people get away with dumb shit like this.

The white one is much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Steve
1961 Corvair 700 Sedan (80hp 3spd Gasoline Heat)
toytron

Post by toytron »

Yes unfortunately lostboy is correct Scott. Unless you have the money to go after them and whether or not it is worth the possible loss, that is how they get away with things. I know that when my daughter's were in high school and it was prom, you could see the same dresses sold at the retail store for 1/3 the price shipped from China. They have free shipping because it is government supported and the tariffs are low or non-existent. How can you compete with that.

Ed Stevenson
Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair corsa convertible turbo
65 corvair monza
toytron

Post by toytron »

Scott I think I would personally contact redbubble and explain your dilemma. They just might honor that. It looks like they are out of Australia according to whois.net but as I said in my previous post. They probably do a lot of business with China where they do not recognize your creative rights. Hopefully redbubble might do the right thing and at least give you royalty for it if not remove it at your request. But then again I don't know how many of those corvair designs are yours, but you just got more free advertisement. Let us know which ones are yours and I might buy a couple.

I had worked for a toy inventing company for a number of years making electronics for them. It was the best job I had to this date but it didn't pay as well. The most amazing thing we saw was the amount of similar toys that were being shown to the manufacturers even though we were certain that there was no espionage going on (though it is real) but we would learn it was best to get it to market the quickest. Anyway enough of that rant.

Remember that imitation is the best form of flattery even if it means some loss in sales.

Ed Stevenson
Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair corsa convertible turbo
65 corvair monza
Steve62

Post by Steve62 »

Mad and flattered. Someone likes your work enough to use it, but it sucks that they stole it from you. At least inform them that you're aware of what they're doing...maybe something good will come out of it.
Could be better, could be worse...could be riding in a hearse!
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

toytron wrote:Yes unfortunately lostboy is correct Scott. Unless you have the money to go after them and whether or not it is worth the possible loss, that is how they get away with things. I know that when my daughter's were in high school and it was prom, you could see the same dresses sold at the retail store for 1/3 the price shipped from China. They have free shipping because it is government supported and the tariffs are low or non-existent. How can you compete with that.

Ed Stevenson
I'm guilty of owning a few hockey jerseys that may or may not be from China. They were 1/8 the price and quality of player jerseys rather than that shit sold at the NHL store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Steve
1961 Corvair 700 Sedan (80hp 3spd Gasoline Heat)
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

I found some mouse pads from China a few years ago using one of my photos of my coupe. I raised hell with Ebay but nothing was ever done.......the guy is stealing pictures and selling his stuff. Here is the photo he used

azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

hrm2k wrote:I raised hell with Ebay but nothing was ever done....
I found someone using my images on eBay and filled out their form showing I owned the copyright to them. I took about 2 weeks but they pulled down all the photos and later the seller asked me permission to use them again but this time for a fee. I told him to send me my cut for the stuff he had already sold since he knew he did not have permission to use them the first time. Never went any further. I didn't want my photos used to sell anything.

http://pics.ebay.com/aw/pics/pdf/us/hel ... /NOCI1.pdf
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
vettetovair

Post by vettetovair »

Fact is copyright law is expensive to fight. Unless the seller is selling a lot of them and make big buck, no lawyer would even take the case. Even to issues a Cease & Desist Letter would cost more then a few bucks. That why most people/companies get away with it.
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

found another person using my artwork.
image3060.png
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
County98

Post by County98 »

I might be way off base, but I thought any photo shared on social media became public domain (or something along those lines). I do see a lot of small business graphics that have all the Internet photos "watermarked". Might not be a bad idea. At least they'd be useless to someone looking for a quick steal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Corvair Forum mobile app
Cheers!

-Shayne
Lawton, OK

'66 Corsa work in progress
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=8079
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

County98 wrote:I might be way off base, but I thought any photo shared on social media became public domain...
No. Images can be used elsewhere without consent of the owner under "fair use" laws but you can't use them commercially where there is clear intent to profit or cause financial harm to the copyright owner.

If you post a photo of you or your friends wearing a T-shirt with Scott's design on it, you are not breaking copyright law. You are protected by Fair Use rules in cases like that. If you are using the design to sell your own T-shirts that is a clear violation. Someone cannot take an image found in a "Fair Use" situation and then profit from it. The trouble is, Scott can't afford to chase all the people stealing his work.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

I contacted this last guy and turns out he bought the sticker from Redbubble. That is the site I sell that sticker on so I guess he technically bought it from me and is reselling it.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)

Return to “Corvair Talk”