So let's talk about the current state of Corvair prices.

Anything Corvair related
bobg1951chevy

Re: So let's talk about the current state of Corvair prices.

Post by bobg1951chevy »

I have been directly associated with Chevy's, through the hobby and my employment, since 1964.
When buying or selling, I feel comfortable using "Hagerty's value guide", as my reference point.
For the past two months, I have really dug in, looking for a "turn key" '65 to '69 Monza.
Emails sent, pics received, visits to homes, etc., I have been looking, doing my due diligence.
I had a nice, original, one owner (I think) in my sights, but there was a missing title issue, the car was low mileage.
The "owner" would not agree to apply for a duplicate title. Odd, huh ?
I would not pull the trigger and throw out cash to buy a car, with no title.
What if the car was NOT the legal property of the individual selling the car?
At any rate, moving on from that car, I have found "SHABBY" Corvairs priced between "AVERAGE" and " EXCELLENT" on the Hagerty scale.
I have found "NICE" Corvairs priced at or beyond the "CONCOURSE" level, on the Hagerty scale.
Look up the definition of a concourse MONZA, and its expected condition.
I certainly have not seen a "concourse condition Corvair" for sale anywhere, but some of the asking prices are concourse level and beyond.
Had a guy who would not supply pics, just one pic of a side view ...... but the seller had no problem or hesitation, when he put the crazy price on the convert.
I acknowledge and accept "quality care" in a car, I also believe that same car is worth more bucks.
For me, I have not found the right car for the right price.
I have to say, the Hagerty pricing has ALWAYS been a good guide for me.
But now, the sellers are pricing WAY BEYOND the pricing in Hagerty.
I suppose Helen will be a good place to view the "for sale" Corvairs, but I'm also thinking sellers think they have an incoming group of potential Corvair owners, willing to pay any price.
For me, a reasonable price will make me a Corvair owner immediately.
Throw a crazy price at me .... I'll walk away.
I don't need or want a Corvair that badly.
Bob G., Hendersonville, NC.

1951 Chevy Styleline Deluxe 2 door sedan. 6/2000.
1969 Corvair 500 Coupe # 2671. 7/2017.
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

There are some vairs that are a steal even if the price seems very high. If a car has been fully restored (suspension, brakes, motor, transaxle, interior, wiring etc. etc. all addressed and looking new) likely has parts expenses alone well over 15k and likely over 20k. I have ground up restored a number of these cars and parts/materials costs alone can easily run into the mid 20's. Add hundreds of hours of labor at even modest shop rates, and the true cost of such a car can easily top 40k or more. Find one of these cars at a very high (for a Corvair) price in say, the upper 20's and it would be a steal. I have seen a few such cars sell for well under 20k.

The problem is that since the values are as low as they are that many owners/restorers will cut corners to keep the cost down. They cosmetically restore the car using ("smoke and mirrors") as I call it and you have a pretty car that needs major mechanical restoration to be excellent and has a poorly repair body that does not last. Buyer must be very aware of what he/she is looking at and try not to get snowed by "smoke and mirrors'. I have seen many "show" cars that altho they look great would be dangerous on the street and as long as they never get wet might even look good in a few years. Often these cars will be on sale for a high price right next to a similarly priced and looking car that has actually been done correctly. The second would be a steal while the first might be a nightmare.

Over 30 years of working with and on these cars I have found very very few Corvair owners that are willing or have the funds to properly restore one. Fact of the matter is these cars are generally not an investment. They are a hobby. Hobbies cost money not make money:)
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
bobg1951chevy

Post by bobg1951chevy »

"Hobbies cost money, not make money"

That pretty much sums it up.
Bob G., Hendersonville, NC.

1951 Chevy Styleline Deluxe 2 door sedan. 6/2000.
1969 Corvair 500 Coupe # 2671. 7/2017.
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

:goodpost: I bought my 64 4 years ago, $1895.00 & have over $4,000 in it now. I looked on Ebay 4 years ago & now guys on Ebay are asking double of what they were 4 years ago. I think the interest in the Corvair has really increased. :clap:
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

If the prices of fine examples were to double you could take an average car to that level doing all the work yourself and maybe make $2 per hour for your time:) I don't know what the real number would be but it would be better than it is now. The issue is that rising prices will also make entry into the Corvair hobby more expensive and will also increase the price of parts. This of course may lower our $2 per hour to more like $1.25:)
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia

Return to “Corvair Talk”