So let's talk about the current state of Corvair prices.

Anything Corvair related
User avatar
SyntheticBlnkerFluid
Posts: 192
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:32 am
Location: Chebanse, IL
Contact:

So let's talk about the current state of Corvair prices.

Unread post by SyntheticBlnkerFluid » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:03 am

I'm not harping on anyone specific, but I don't understand why there are Corvair people that are in denial about the increase of Corvair prices over the last decade.

There are many Corvair folks that like to say that Corvairs aren't ever worth what people ask for them, that people only ask what they think it's worth and don't actually do research yadda yadda yadda.

I have a theory, that either these certain Corvair people are either stuck in the past or just don't do the research themselves, because the market says otherwise.

Corvairs have been quite the popular starter classic car for many people over the years, but seeing that these are starting to show up at the big auctions, I can understand that there is a a possibility that some non-Corvair people that buy one may think that they are worth more than they are.

Now, that being said, I think Corvairs have an interesting and reasonable price range. You can still pick up parts cars for scrap prices (or cheaper if you play your cards right). Cars that need attention to make a solid running driving car, ranging in prices all the way up to lower thousands. There's clean, solid, mechanically sound cars from mid thousands up to lower ten thousands. Then there's concourse level cars selling from the upper ten thousands to lower twenty thousands. Then there are the specialty cars like Yenkos and Sprints that are kind of in their own price bracket.

I think part of this is due to people who have never been associated with Corvairs before have been getting into them, either because a relative owned one when they were a kid, they had one 40 years ago, or out of the general interest of owning a unique American car.

I guess I'm basically saying I don't understand the general ignorance towards this happening, it's not necessarily a bad thing.
1968 Monza 140 4-Speed Posi

Rob
Chebanse, IL

User avatar
Scott Howey
Site Admin
Posts: 3628
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:21 pm
Location: Hesperia, CA

Re: So let's talk about the current state of Corvair prices.

Unread post by Scott Howey » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:13 am

You are right. Many who have been into Corvairs "forever" basically say they aren't worth anything. I got into them in 2009 and I've seen prices going up since. Prices are climbing. There's more attention by mainstream markets. They will continue to go up.


Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
Scott

User avatar
Scott Howey
Site Admin
Posts: 3628
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:21 pm
Location: Hesperia, CA

Re: So let's talk about the current state of Corvair prices.

Unread post by Scott Howey » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:15 am

Prime example...this article

"Why You Should Buy a 1960s Chevy Corvair Right Now
It’s not a death trap, by the way."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... -right-now
Scott

User avatar
SyntheticBlnkerFluid
Posts: 192
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:32 am
Location: Chebanse, IL
Contact:

Re: So let's talk about the current state of Corvair prices.

Unread post by SyntheticBlnkerFluid » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:20 pm

Scott Howey wrote:You are right. Many who have been into Corvairs "forever" basically say they aren't worth anything. I got into them in 2009 and I've seen prices going up since. Prices are climbing. There's more attention by mainstream markets. They will continue to go up.


Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
See and that's the thing, I've been around Corvairs since I was born, and while I can appreciate a cheap Corvair, I'm not surprised by the rising prices. In all honesty, I welcome them, because that means that people outside of the Corvair Circle are starting to recognize them as a good, interesting car.
1968 Monza 140 4-Speed Posi

Rob
Chebanse, IL

66vairguy
Posts: 1331
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:44 pm

Re: So let's talk about the current state of Corvair prices.

Unread post by 66vairguy » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:22 pm

The number rule of pricing is simple ---- It's only worth what the seller and buyer agree on. Opinions of prices are irrelevant. One can only look at market averages and start from there.

joe moore
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:20 pm

Re: So let's talk about the current state of Corvair prices.

Unread post by joe moore » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:40 pm

Like any old car OR truck. BE careful what you BUY. DO your homework. Some cars a trucks are coming UP IN value some are not. Everyone wants a convertible. Some think like myself the vans and trucks will increase past the cars,maybe NOT, just half TO wait. And see. Joe

Sent from my IdeaTabS2109A-F using Corvair Forum mobile app
1962 rampside #3957

Joes64vair
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:22 pm

Re: So let's talk about the current state of Corvair prices.

Unread post by Joes64vair » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:21 pm

I recently had the opportunity to get a corvair, 64 monza.
The gentleman that owned it is now very old and his daughter is moving him to a care facility and selling his house, she asked me to come by and check out this Car in the garage that had to go, it was a 64 corvair monza that was completely taken apart 26 years ago and has been sitting ever since, I checked it out and she said what do you think? I said it's the ugliest thing iv ever seen what is it? , she said I have no idea, he had so many parts I could build 3 or 4 of them so I said I'll take it..for free and as many parts as I could, well it took me 12 weeks to rebuild the engine, the fuel system, the brake system ,the interior and now I'm stripping the completely rust free perfect body getting ready for paint, I got my antique tags two weeks ago installed my retrofit radio and I just can't stop driving this car, I love it ! I cut the front spring to lower the front and and this thing runs and rides awesome it so much fun to work on and ppl see me driving this half paint half primer thing and I get thumbs up all day long ,when I go to the grocery store and come outside people are always around it and want to talk about it and ask what it is or they remember it from yesteryear, I can't wait to paint it, these cars should be worth 40 and 50k like the rest of the their like classics.
I assembled this car from most of the parts in that garage and others from Clark's corvair and everything works perfect I'm having a blast . BTW the original owners name is Joe, hence joes64vair :)

66vairguy
Posts: 1331
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:44 pm

Re: So let's talk about the current state of Corvair prices.

Unread post by 66vairguy » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:09 pm

Joe64vair - So your bragging about taking advantage of someone --- shame on you.

User avatar
lostboy
Posts: 377
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:59 pm

Re: So let's talk about the current state of Corvair prices.

Unread post by lostboy » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:55 pm

The car has a wide threshold of resale value. I saw one at a show that was in ok shape. There was primer over the original yellow in some spots. The engine was dirty and obviously was pretty original. The sign on the window seemed a bit steep, but that's probably because I feel like I couldn't get what they were asking for mine. On the other hand, I saw a running, driving, 90% complete Lakewood go for 2500. (Which I was thinking about buying and shamefully missed out on.) IMO the vans and lakewoods are worth more than the sedans or coupes (in good shape), but the rampsides are worth the most out of all the flavors. They're just hard to get. I want a Lakewood so bad that it hurts. That all said, I pulled my 61 sedan out of a dudes backyard for 500$. It was all there, just rough. New floors, brakes, diy interior and several seals later and it's my daily. I think that as long as there's a fan base, who gives a shit what the retail value is? I'd still be driving mine even if I could only get 5$ for it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Steve
1961 Corvair 700 Sedan (80hp 3spd Gasoline Heat)

User avatar
SyntheticBlnkerFluid
Posts: 192
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:32 am
Location: Chebanse, IL
Contact:

Re: So let's talk about the current state of Corvair prices.

Unread post by SyntheticBlnkerFluid » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:24 pm

@joes64vair - I'm not sure what the purpose of your reply was, it really had nothing to do with the original post at all.
lostboy wrote:I think that as long as there's a fan base, who gives a shit what the retail value is? I'd still be driving mine even if I could only get 5$ for it.
Well see, it does make a difference what the car is worth to some respect, it's not just about how much someone wants to pay for a car. It helps the way our cars are insured, for example, especially for those using collector car insurance. My dads insurance (I believe he has Hagerty) upped what his policy covered on his '66 Corsa because the market value of his car came up, so they wanted to make sure he had adequate coverage.


Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
1968 Monza 140 4-Speed Posi

Rob
Chebanse, IL

User avatar
lostboy
Posts: 377
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:59 pm

Re: So let's talk about the current state of Corvair prices.

Unread post by lostboy » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:58 am

SyntheticBlnkerFluid wrote:@joes64vair - I'm not sure what the purpose of your reply was, it really had nothing to do with the original post at all.
lostboy wrote:I think that as long as there's a fan base, who gives a shit what the retail value is? I'd still be driving mine even if I could only get 5$ for it.
Well see, it does make a difference what the car is worth to some respect, it's not just about how much someone wants to pay for a car. It helps the way our cars are insured, for example, especially for those using collector car insurance. My dads insurance (I believe he has Hagerty) upped what his policy covered on his '66 Corsa because the market value of his car came up, so they wanted to make sure he had adequate coverage.


Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
Interesting. I had my regular insurance covering mine but they couldn't appraise it until it was completely restored. They wanted me to pay the same amount I pay on an 03 Avalanche without a specified value. So I switched to hagerty who basically lets the insured decide how much the car is worth (within reason).


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Steve
1961 Corvair 700 Sedan (80hp 3spd Gasoline Heat)

User avatar
SyntheticBlnkerFluid
Posts: 192
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:32 am
Location: Chebanse, IL
Contact:

Re: So let's talk about the current state of Corvair prices.

Unread post by SyntheticBlnkerFluid » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:25 am

lostboy wrote:
SyntheticBlnkerFluid wrote:@joes64vair - I'm not sure what the purpose of your reply was, it really had nothing to do with the original post at all.
lostboy wrote:I think that as long as there's a fan base, who gives a shit what the retail value is? I'd still be driving mine even if I could only get 5$ for it.
Well see, it does make a difference what the car is worth to some respect, it's not just about how much someone wants to pay for a car. It helps the way our cars are insured, for example, especially for those using collector car insurance. My dads insurance (I believe he has Hagerty) upped what his policy covered on his '66 Corsa because the market value of his car came up, so they wanted to make sure he had adequate coverage.


Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
Interesting. I had my regular insurance covering mine but they couldn't appraise it until it was completely restored. They wanted me to pay the same amount I pay on an 03 Avalanche without a specified value. So I switched to hagerty who basically lets the insured decide how much the car is worth (within reason).


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well like I said, I believe he has Hagerty, but could be with someone else, I just remember us having a conversation about this and him showing me the letter. He originally insured the car for like $10k after he restored it, but about 6 years ago they sent him a letter saying that his premium was going to go up (not by much) because they felt that the value of his car was more than what he originally insured it for because of the market value. It wasn't much, but they raised the value of his car by $5k.
1968 Monza 140 4-Speed Posi

Rob
Chebanse, IL

Joes64vair
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:22 pm

Re: RE: Re: So let's talk about the current state of Corvair prices.

Unread post by Joes64vair » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:49 am

66vairguy wrote:Joe64vair - So your bragging about taking advantage of someone --- shame on you.
She is a friend and was going to scrap everything in the garage, I'm rebuilding her dad's mustang for them and she thought I would like the older car, she did not and would not accept any money, mr.assuming ass!

Sent from my SM-J700T using Corvair Forum mobile app

Joes64vair
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:22 pm

Re: RE: Re: So let's talk about the current state of Corvair prices.

Unread post by Joes64vair » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:59 am

SyntheticBlnkerFluid wrote:@joes64vair - I'm not sure what the purpose of your reply was, it really had nothing to do with the original post at all.
lostboy wrote:I think that as long as there's a fan base, who gives a shit what the retail value is? I'd still be driving mine even if I could only get 5$ for it.
Well see, it does make a difference what the car is worth to some respect, it's not just about how much someone wants to pay for a car. It helps the way our cars are insured, for example, especially for those using collector car insurance. My dads insurance (I believe he has Hagerty) upped what his policy covered on his '66 Corsa because the market value of his car came up, so they wanted to make sure he had adequate coverage.


Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
Maybe i put my post in the wrong category, my bad! i was just trying to share my experience about not knowing much about these cars and turning into a big corvair fan and did mention my thoughts of these cars should be worth more $ ( post being about worth) but seeing where yours was the second negative response I'm thinking the cars are much more friendlier the the car owners.
Have a nice day

Sent from my SM-J700T using Corvair Forum mobile app

User avatar
GriffinGuru
Posts: 118
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:07 pm
Location: Mount Joy, PA

Re: So let's talk about the current state of Corvair prices.

Unread post by GriffinGuru » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:06 am

Joes64vair: In my opinion it is not taking advantage that you "inherited" that car. In fact, it wasn't even a car when you got it, and you had to put many, many hours into bringing it back to life. Could the family have sold the parts and made some money, yes, but settling an estate is very stressful, and spending the time to parcel everything out bit by bit for a sum total of $1500 (give or take) over a drawn out timeline might have been too cumbersome. We don't know the situation and sometimes things get away from people as they get older and acquire bits and pieces of projects over their lifetimes that don't ever get finished. I think Joe would be glad that someone was able to pick up where he left off and get his old car back on the road.

Now, as far as the topic of this post, it does seem that there is starting to be more interest in these cars. Myself, I like the fact that they aren't too expensive yet as it makes finding parts slightly more affordable. The other moderating factor is that they made millions of the sedans, and many coupes and convertables as well. The large-ish supply "regular body" Corvairs will always dampen those prices a little compared to the rarity of the trucks, vans and Lakewoods. Much like the mass quantities of Beetles keeps those prices low compared to the busses etc. But, like the VW market, as interest increases and supply of donor cars and parts dwindles, we will see an increase in prices. Will Corvairs start getting old Porsche 911 type prices for normal drivers (20-30K)? For now, I hope not because I still need parts!!

Next week: The debate over Corvair price increase: increased enthusiast interest or normal monetary inflation drift! :neener:
It keeps me humble:
64 Corvair Monza convertible called Lucy (work in progress)

Joes64vair
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:22 pm

Re: RE: Re: So let's talk about the current state of Corvair prices.

Unread post by Joes64vair » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:20 am

GriffinGuru wrote:Joes64vair: In my opinion it is not taking advantage that you "inherited" that car. In fact, it wasn't even a car when you got it, and you had to put many, many hours into bringing it back to life. Could the family have sold the parts and made some money, yes, but settling an estate is very stressful, and spending the time to parcel everything out bit by bit for a sum total of $1500 (give or take) over a drawn out timeline might have been too cumbersome. We don't know the situation and sometimes things get away from people as they get older and acquire bits and pieces of projects over their lifetimes that don't ever get finished. I think Joe would be glad that someone was able to pick up where he left off and get his old car back on the road.

Now, as far as the topic of this post, it does seem that there is starting to be more interest in these cars. Myself, I like the fact that they aren't too expensive yet as it makes finding parts slightly more affordable. The other moderating factor is that they made millions of the sedans, and many coupes and convertables as well. The large-ish supply "regular body" Corvairs will always dampen those prices a little compared to the rarity of the trucks, vans and Lakewoods. Much like the mass quantities of Beetles keeps those prices low compared to the busses etc. But, like the VW market, as interest increases and supply of donor cars and parts dwindles, we will see an increase in prices. Will Corvairs start getting old Porsche 911 type prices for normal drivers (20-30K)? For now, I hope not because I still need parts!!

Next week: The debate over Corvair price increase: increased enthusiast interest or normal monetary inflation drift! :neener:
Thank you Griffinguru
You nailed it! And as I got into the resto I acquired the meticulous care and execution of each job I was doing because of the hard work and care Joe was putting into this car , my objective became to get this vair done best I can to show Joe his final product while he is still alive ( he's 93) and give him a ride around town and hopefully spark some memories, he now has Alzheimer's and I'm hoping this will make him proud of the work he began. As far as the value I think joes64vair is priceless.
Thanks again

Sent from my SM-J700T using Corvair Forum mobile app

Post Reply

Return to “Corvair Talk”