Re: BLACK BEAUTY! A Beautiful 1963 Monza Coupe

Post by hrm2k »

SWEET !!!!!!
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

Very nice
-Steve
1961 Corvair 700 Sedan (80hp 3spd Gasoline Heat)
Corventure Dave

Post by Corventure Dave »

That's it!!! My Mother bought that exact looking 63 Black -White-Red dash and carpet Monza in 1963. That one started our Corvair adventure that continues today! Please post more pictures. Is it a 4 speed also?

Corventure Dave
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Tom Ristow posted these two pictures on Facebook. You could try contacting him by clicking on the Facebook link that I included below his name and pictures in my initial post, and once in Facebook follow the link associated with his name to his Facebook page. Perhaps you can contact him and ask your questions about this Corvair.

I did find one additional picture of this car on his Facebook page...

Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Steve62

Post by Steve62 »

Very nice car!
Could be better, could be worse...could be riding in a hearse!
PaulR

Post by PaulR »

bbodie52 wrote:ImageImage

Posted on Facebook by Tom Ristow

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2224315 ... 5024561777

:clap: :not worthy: :tu:
Nice early coupe! Great not often seen original interior color combination with the white seats and door panels with the red dashboard. Too bad he ruined it with the "Hot Wheels" tire/wheel combo. Although I guess that they could be period correct.
1964 Monza convertible 110/PG
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Tasteful, often performance-enhancing customizing was always considered to be an appealing part of owning an affordable Corvair. The "Waterless Wonder from Willow Run" was also called a "Poor Man's Porsche"!

PaulR wrote:...Too bad he ruined it with the "Hot Wheels" tire/wheel combo. Although I guess that they could be period correct.
I disagree. I never heard anyone saying that John Fitch "ruined" the Corvair with his customizing options, such as the Hands wheels seen below on the Fitch Sprint...
Wikipedia wrote:The Corvair Fitch Sprint was a set of modifications for the Chevrolet Corvair automobile developed by racing driver John Fitch.

John Fitch was given the opportunity to test several models of the brand new Corvair during the fall of 1959. He had the cars for two weeks and tested them at the Lime Rock track in Connecticut. During this prepublic tryout, John left enthused with the Corvairs potential as a Grand touring machine with a European flavor. He then set out to develop various engine, chassis and body modifications. John decided to market these modifications and the Fitch Sprint was born. John’s first Corvair was a 1961 Monza coupe. John used this car as the basis to build the first prototype Sprint. Fitch Sprints were available in three different flavors. A customer could have his new Corvair drop shipped to Fitch’s Falls Village shop and have Fitch’s mechanics install the Sprint kit options desired. Or, the Sprint kit could be installed by a local Chevrolet dealer who is authorized by Fitch to install the Sprint kit. Fitch recalls that more cars were converted at dealerships than at his shop. And lastly and most popular, you could mail-order the kit and options you desire and install the Sprint kit yourself. Fitch continued producing Sprints until GM pulled the plug and later sold all inventory and tooling for the Sprint to Art Hershberger of Solar Automotive in November 1971...
:link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corvair_Fitch_Sprint

When Chevrolet fitted a 1962 Spyder with factory-fit Kelsey-Hayes wire wheels, custom paint, etc. I don't think it was considered "ruined"!
1962 Chevrolet Spyder Convertible GM Built Prototype Show Car (4).jpg
1962 Chevrolet Spyder Convertible GM Built Prototype Show Car (11).jpg
1962 Chevrolet Spyder Convertible GM Built Prototype Show Car (15).jpg
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
PaulR

Post by PaulR »

bbodie52 wrote:Tasteful, often performance-enhancing customizing was always considered to be an appealing part of owning an affordable Corvair. The "Waterless Wonder from Willow Run" was also called a "Poor Man's Porsche"!

PaulR wrote:...Too bad he ruined it with the "Hot Wheels" tire/wheel combo. Although I guess that they could be period correct.
I disagree. I never heard anyone saying that John Fitch "ruined" the Corvair with his customizing options, such as the Hands wheels seen below on the Fitch Sprint...
Wikipedia wrote:The Corvair Fitch Sprint was a set of modifications for the Chevrolet Corvair automobile developed by racing driver John Fitch.

John Fitch was given the opportunity to test several models of the brand new Corvair during the fall of 1959. He had the cars for two weeks and tested them at the Lime Rock track in Connecticut. During this prepublic tryout, John left enthused with the Corvairs potential as a Grand touring machine with a European flavor. He then set out to develop various engine, chassis and body modifications. John decided to market these modifications and the Fitch Sprint was born. John’s first Corvair was a 1961 Monza coupe. John used this car as the basis to build the first prototype Sprint. Fitch Sprints were available in three different flavors. A customer could have his new Corvair drop shipped to Fitch’s Falls Village shop and have Fitch’s mechanics install the Sprint kit options desired. Or, the Sprint kit could be installed by a local Chevrolet dealer who is authorized by Fitch to install the Sprint kit. Fitch recalls that more cars were converted at dealerships than at his shop. And lastly and most popular, you could mail-order the kit and options you desire and install the Sprint kit yourself. Fitch continued producing Sprints until GM pulled the plug and later sold all inventory and tooling for the Sprint to Art Hershberger of Solar Automotive in November 1971...
:link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corvair_Fitch_Sprint

When Chevrolet fitted a 1962 Spyder with factory-fit Kelsey-Hayes wire wheels, custom paint, etc. I don't think it was considered "ruined"!

1962 Chevrolet Spyder Convertible GM Built Prototype Show Car (4).jpg1962 Chevrolet Spyder Convertible GM Built Prototype Show Car (11).jpg1962 Chevrolet Spyder Convertible GM Built Prototype Show Car (15).jpg
Wow, a little bit of a backlash. Maybe I should have not of used the word "ruined".
1964 Monza convertible 110/PG

Return to “Corvair Talk”