installing lights in 1963-64 fake rear vents

Anything Corvair related
fjp912

installing lights in 1963-64 fake rear vents

Post by fjp912 »

Everybody seems to "have heard of" someone who has done this but I'll be damned if I can find any photos or firsthand details on how. Those "vents" just beg to be made functional with high mounted brake and turn lights. Imagine a series of LED's that sequentially blink Mercury Cougar style.

I looked at one of these off the car and it is just a single piece of pot metal. I had thought the "chrome" on the rear edge was a separate piece that could be removed, but it is not. That means some drilling or cutting of the metal is necessary. I have very little metal working experience and this pot metal does not seem to me like the easiest stuff to work with. I guess I would get a spare set of vents to mess with. If you could just drill a series of small round holes and put little red LED's in them maybe . . .? Can anyone help? Has anyone actually done this or seen it?
FRANK PERCH
Philadelphia, PA
'64 Monza Coupe
er-mine

Re: installing lights in 1963-64 fake rear vents

Post by er-mine »

anxious to see results....!

gitter done....!

or someone paste post some pics so we can seeeeeeee
er-mine

Post by er-mine »

Dang... couldn't hardly find anything that showed custom lighting

Thought maybe the back of the original vents could be ground till the ribs were exposed

Way too thin to get that done

Machining them out ...Is too big of a job for the average guys garage capability

Here's a picture of something that conceptually might work ...but it's a little too modern and swoopy for the early model

Maybe something will pop up

em
Attachments
Screenshot_2016-08-27-17-06-01.png
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

You can just drill a series of small holes and glue in 12V leds from the rear of the vent I am sure. They could be easily wired into the rear brake/turn circuit providing high mount stop and turn function. Making the turn function sequential would require electronics to do that, but, I would bet it could be done.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia

Return to “Corvair Talk”