Remove and Re-install headliner?

Anything Corvair related
dagdal1967
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Remove and Re-install headliner?

Post by dagdal1967 »

I'm very likely going to install some sound deadening and heat shield in my 64 Coupe soon. I have a nearly new and very good headliner in the car that was installed by the previous owner.

I was wondering if I can remove the headliner, install the shield pieces and then reinstall the same headliner - OR should I expect to buy a new headliner...

I'm taking the opportunity to replace the somewhat worn carpet in the car, but I'd like to save the headliner if possible as its nearly new!

Any help appreciated.
Doug Gault
Fort Worth, Texas

- 2013 Cadillac ATS Premium
- 1964 Palomar Red Corvair 900 Monza Club Coupe
- 1961 Lincoln Continental

The Air Cooled Addiction Continues...
Dneprdude

Re: Remove and Re-install headliner?

Post by Dneprdude »

I would guess you could remove and reinstall. If there is any glues, a heat gun may come in handy. Make chalk or waterbased marks periodically so you can line it all back up. This is advice based on other car experience.
Matt
Surf City, NC

Dnepr MT-11
'96 VFR
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

Just note what holes the bows come from, if you take the bows out of the listing make sure you note where they go. it should be an easy install as the headliner is going back the way it was, not like stretching a new one. If the tack strips are good it should be a piece of cake!!! :tu: :eek:
Last edited by 64powerglide on Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Can be done but there is a high chance or ruining the existing headliner in the process. Down here in the south the threads holding the old headliners together are rotten. They look and work fine until you push hard, pull on, or otherwise disturb them, then they come apart. If you are careful you may be successful, but, be prepared to purchase and install a new headliner.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
dagdal1967
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by dagdal1967 »

@terribleted.

The headliner that is in the car now was installed about 3 years ago and I'm pretty sure it was from clarks. Since it's not very old, that is why I was wondering whether it could be re-used.

I'm going to be ordering a new carpet kit so may just check into what a new headliner will cost too.
Doug Gault
Fort Worth, Texas

- 2013 Cadillac ATS Premium
- 1964 Palomar Red Corvair 900 Monza Club Coupe
- 1961 Lincoln Continental

The Air Cooled Addiction Continues...

Return to “Corvair Talk”