Putting my convertible on jacks

Anything Corvair related
Corsa bill

Putting my convertible on jacks

Post by Corsa bill »

I've got my car on jacks, I just wanted to make sure I'm doing it right. I want to put the other side up also and raise it up another 6 inches or so. I will use some cinder blocks to make it more stable. I've read that supporting the transaxle would be a good idea. Where and how should I support the transaxle? It is a convertible.Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cad-kid

Re: Putting my convertible on jacks

Post by cad-kid »

Never use cinder blocks, they can collapse without warning
Use larger jack stands, large timbers (not 2x4s), steel tube properly supported, etc
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
Nickshu

Post by Nickshu »

Agree don't use cinderblocks. Before I had my EZCarLift I had some large timbers I put under my jackstands to get more height.

Supporting transaxle, you mean for removal? Most put 2x4's along the oil pan bolts. Balance point is about at the bell housing. There are plans out there for a 2x4 engine cradle, I think in the How to Keep your Corvair Alive book.
Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - SOLD ON BRING A TRAILER 4/30/2019 - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Thanks to all the awesome CCF, CF, COG, and CORSA members who helped me with the restoration!
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Clark's Corvair Parts online catalog has a comment about the hazards of lifting your Corvair by positioning a jack under the powertrain. Their warning comment is at the bottom of the following catalog page...

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... N&page=160

Not a Good Idea!

While it seems like a natural jacking or lift point (I used to do it too), jacking a Corvair or placing jack stands under the differential is not a good idea! The engine and powertrain are isolated from the chassis by rubber engine mounts — two in front of the transmission and one at the rear. These are strong rubber and steel mounts designed to hold the weight of the engine and transaxle as they hang from the chassis. When you jack up the car by placing a jack or jack stands under the differential, you reverse this load and you have the entire weight of the rear portion of the Corvair hanging from the engine mounts! The mounts were not designed for this, and the rubber that holds the mounts together can be compromised or weakened by placing this kind of unusual stress on the engine mounts. This could shorten the life of the engine mounts and ultimately result in an engine mount failure.

No Corvair shop manual shows the Engine/Transaxle as an approved or recommended lift point when jacking the car off of the ground, as shown below...

Late Model (1965-1969) Corvair Lift Points

Early Model (1960-1964) Corvair Lift Points

For more discussion on failed Corvair engine mounts, see the material in the following link...

Has this ever happened to anyone before?
Corvair Forum :link: viewtopic.php?f=80&t=5701
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Corsa bill

Post by Corsa bill »

Ty all for the replies back

Allan Lacki

Post by Allan Lacki »

Corsa Bill, If you want taller jack stands, buy them! Cheap insurance against death! I gather you are thinking of putting your existing jack stands on top of cinder blocks to gain additional height. Don't do it. And don't put your jack stands on top of a stack of timbers either. There has been at least one Corvair owner who was crushed to death beneath his Corvair due to improper use of jack stands.
Corsa bill

Post by Corsa bill »

FYI I'm surely not stupid enough (all most) to put jack stands under my oil pan!!! Image
I'm thinking of going up higher, but if I do believe me I will do it safely. I read another post on putting a convert on jack stands. They had a concerns about the transaxle weight on the covert body and the body gaps changing. It makes sense to me, I don't really want all the transaxle weight on the body, maybe I'm just overly concerned.

Corsa bill

Post by Corsa bill »

va3rjs

Post by va3rjs »

I general comment I got on jacking up convertibles was when lifting a convertible at the 4 jacking points it is always a good idea to either open the door, or my brothers rule,of thumb is to unlatch the convertible at the windshields ...... He has seen Converible tops rip under the stress of jacking on a car hoist.
Bob
66 Monza 2dr Converible, Automatic, (95 HP)
Marina blue, White Top, Black and White Interior
65 CORSA turbo - being restored
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:whoa: I would think that if there is that much flexing in the old unibody Corvair chassis to permit damage to occur to the top when jacking the car up, then there must be some serious hidden rust damage within the body structure — possibly a warning sign of a dangerously weakened chassis! I have owned several Corvair convertibles since the 1960's and have yet to see that kind of flexing in the chassis.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
va3rjs

Post by va3rjs »

Well maybe it is one of those better safe than sorry actions.....bring a car into the shop for a minor repair and find yourself replacing a top you split......I don't think any chassis is as rigid as you might think....... But I could be wrong..... He runs a very busy shop so the behaviour probably comes from somewhere .

B
Bob
66 Monza 2dr Converible, Automatic, (95 HP)
Marina blue, White Top, Black and White Interior
65 CORSA turbo - being restored
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Convertibles bodies have reinforcements in rockers, cowl, rear fenders. Still they will flex more while jacking vs. a coupe.

That said the door gap should not change more than a 1/4" (average observation) between the door and rear body panel while the car is on jack stands at the recommended points. If the door gap does open more than that then it's possible the body reinforcements are rusted. The doors may be more difficult to open and close on jack stands.

When you remove the powertrain the door gap will be reduced.

When the car is back on it's tires the body returns to it's original position.

DON'T worry about supporting the drivetrain weight while the car is up on jack stands, no permanent distortion of the body will occur IF it is a solid body.
4carbcorvair
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by 4carbcorvair »

Lifted/raised mine many times with the top up with no issues. I agree, if the top rips, there is some serious structural issues. I work in a shop, have raised other convertibles on two post lifts with no issue also.
1966 Corsa convertible, 140, 4sp.
1965 Monza Convertible, 110, PG.

Dirigo Corvair group.
http://www.dirigocorvairs.net/

Return to “Corvair Talk”