110 hp or 140 hp?

Anything Corvair related
jmikulec

110 hp or 140 hp?

Post by jmikulec »

I have a 65 monza with the original 110 on it. I found a good deal on a 110 motor to rebuild. Should I get a little more horsepower with the 140? I'm looking for reliable driving all around highway city everywhere. If I am looking for complete rebuild kit, I know Clark's is good but I want one kit that sells everything I need. Which one is good?
squidlong

Re: 110 hp or 140 hp?

Post by squidlong »

Corvair Ranch in Gettysburg, PA (717)-624-2805 can set you up with a good "kit" per your needs. I would stick with the 110 engine as the 140 tends to drop valve seats using todays garbage gasoline unless you want to do extensive and expensive work to the heads to install hardened valve seats, etc. I run two '66 Monzas daily. One has the 110/4 speed and the other is a 140/PG. Both are fuel injected and I get about 25-30mpg with either but had to modify both engines to do so. You should get 19-20mpg with a stock 110. Good Luck

Squid
Van Buren, IN
"Caddy" Mike :chevy:
Marion, IN
'66 Monza Coupe 140
'64 Corvair "700" Coupe (owner conversion)
'57 Cadillac Coupe
'64 Cadillac Coupe "500 cid"
'61 Chevy Biscayne "327"
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

The 110HP is a great engine. The 140HP has a more power at higher RPM and looks pretty at shows with the four carburetors. From a practical standpoint the 110 engine is easier to live with, and better suited to a PG if you have that.

You really won't find a "One rebuild kit with everything" since you rarely find two engines that need the same thing when you pull them apart.

BTW - REBUILD means a lot of different things to folks. To some it's just throw in new rings, bearings, seals and go. To others it means new pistons, turned crank, new crank gear, new oil pump, new cylinders, new cam, new lifters, rebuilt heads with new seats, valves, valve springs, etc.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

jmikulec wrote:I have a 65 monza with the original 110 on it. I found a good deal on a 110 motor to rebuild. Should I get a little more horsepower with the 140? I'm looking for reliable driving all around highway city everywhere.
I have been driving Corvair Corsas with 140 hp 4-carburetor engines since I was 16 years old and tested in one for my first driver's license (1969). I drove them all over the United States (several times across the nation) while serving in the Air Force for 24 years, and I still drive one. I also drove two of the Corsas for three years while stationed in Germany (1980-1983). Obviously, I like driving Corvairs and I have traditionally stayed with the 140 hp engine and 4-speed manual transmission.

However, I would also be perfectly happy with Monza coupe or sedan powered by a 110 hp 2-carburetor engine, and would even tolerate a Powerglide automatic transmission pretty well. Why? Because I spend 95% of my driving time driving on the two primary carburetors, and seldom press hard enough on the gas pedal to open the secondaries. The extra power is nice when I want it, but I can easily live without the high-revving heavy-breathing offered by the large valve, dual exhaust engine. (Both the 140 hp and 110 hp engines usually share the same camshaft grind). The 110 hp engine is very reliable, while the 140 hp cylinder heads have developed a problem with dropping valve seats on occasion (one dropped in my current 140 hp head prior to when I purchased it, and it was repaired by the previous owner).

If I owned a coupe or sedan and wanted something close to 21st century reliability, I think I would overhaul a 110 hp engine and keep it basically stock internally. (Maybe some of Clark's improved cylinder barrels and some better pistons and rings). I would add an Otto Parts oil pan and valve covers to reduce oil temperatures, would install a Clark's trombone-style dual exhaust because I like the sound, and would add the GM-based Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI) and Distributorless Ignition System (DIS) system developed by Ted Brown and marketed by Clark's Corvair Parts.

:link: http://corvair-efi.com/

:link: viewtopic.php?f=80&t=11162

The EFI/DIS is not cheap, but it brings 21st century reliability, stability, performance and fuel efficiency to replace the 1960's vintage limited technology carburetors and vintage distributor. The base engine is solid and reliable enough where it is often chosen for use in single-engine private airplanes (with FAA approved carburetion and ignition systems). The result? A 21st century Corvair! With modern tires and wheels and perhaps disc brakes and a dual master cylinder, and perhaps some modern electronics for the entertainment system, what more could anyone ask for???
:dontknow: ::-):

Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
googala7

Post by googala7 »

Petronix or MSD..... REWORK THE DISTRIBUTOR,... AND "OPEN UP THE CARBS [PIPE REAMER]. You will be surprized at the difference. [but , what the hell do I know]...
Corsa bill

Post by Corsa bill »

So what's a EFI kit cost, and what are the performance benifits

Return to “Corvair Talk”