Best Fuel Injection system

Anything Corvair related
Rampy

Best Fuel Injection system

Post by Rampy »

Hi Guys,

I'm thinking of fuel injecting the engine for my 1961 Rampside.. I'm still deciding on whether to build up the original engine or replace it with a 140hp version.. But that aside, which fuel injection systems work best with these engines?

Thanks,

Elliot
notched

Re: Best Fuel Injection system

Post by notched »

If you are doing a standard performance/close to stock rebuild then one of the set ups from Ted Brown (sold through Clark's) would work well for you.
If you are doing a high performance set up and might include a turbo or supercharger then you would be into a complete custom fabricated set up with an aftermarket stand alone EFI system. Ray Sedman, Tom Knoblauch are the few that offer set ups like that.
I put my own setup together as several others have as well. But to do that requires some knowledge of how EFI works and the skills to improvise and fabricate to make things work.
1966 Corsa turbo
1969 Monza convertible
1987 Buick Grand National
Rampy

Post by Rampy »

Thanks for your opinion.. I'm looking to build up a engine in my 1961 Rampside that fits the engine bay but is powerful but reliable.. So reasonable power is fine.. Not too much as to stress out everything.. American-pi and American flat six look like great options.. Both look great in fact, I'm not sure which one to use?
miniman82

Post by miniman82 »

Ted's system is decent, and uses off the shelf GM stuff your could replace at any FLAPS or junkyard in case of a breakdown. Not sure you can make that claim with the other systems, I have no experience with them.
Click it!
squidlong

Post by squidlong »

Clarks has the very best and easiest set-up. I have also used the Atomic EFI set up on a 4 barrel center mount 140. Awesome, easy to install but getting expensive these days. I think you will love the conversion if/when you decide to do it! Carbs are great but with the junk gasoline we use these days, I got tired of rebuilding them every 2 years! Good luck
Squid
Van Buren, IN
"Caddy" Mike :chevy:
Marion, IN
'66 Monza Coupe 140
'64 Corvair "700" Coupe (owner conversion)
'57 Cadillac Coupe
'64 Cadillac Coupe "500 cid"
'61 Chevy Biscayne "327"

Return to “Corvair Talk”