Interior upholstery panels

Anything Corvair related
bob63

Interior upholstery panels

Post by bob63 »

I am new to the forum. Has anyone purchased interior door and or quarter panels from Clark's Corvair for a early model? I am thinking of buying the ones they describe as complete but nail strips not installed. How difficult is it to install the nail strips? Any help on this would be appreciated. Thanks

c
BIGTWIN
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Interior upholstery panels

Post by BIGTWIN »

I bought the entire interior for my 61 Monza. the door panels were nice but the chrome strips look a little cheesy. I bought them without strips because of the high price of adding them. I used Stainless steel screws with washer heads to attach them to the door and it looks great. Not original but I wasn't going for absolute original anyway. The quality of the vinyl and the apearance are excellent. Good luck.
1961 Monza
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside a dog it's too dark to read."
vairygood

Post by vairygood »

I bought them for my 63 vert with strips included(not installed) I had a friend,who does upholstery work,install them,it was work but worth it.They look as good as factory.
Mississippi Gulf Coast
Buster
tommy44432

Post by tommy44432 »

Installing the nail strips yourself is not difficult. The corners are the hardest part. Using a hair dryer to warm the corners to allow the material to stretch over the nails better is the only way to go. That being said make sure you have band-aids handy. Maybe you can do it without poking yourself with all those nails but I couldn't. Knowing what I know now I would not buy the door panels with the strips installed.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:welcome2: Welcome to the Corvair Forum!

One of the best ways to convince yourself of the quality and effort behind the Clark's Corvair Parts interioir upholstery products, I believe, is to take a few minutes and watch the video below. It is one of several videos that encompass a tour of the Clark's Corvair Parts facilities.

When you see the detail and effort that goes into interior panel and upholstery reproduction, you will be amazed. For Corvairs, I don't believe you will find this quality anywhere else!

Clark's Corvair Parts - Upholstery Tour

Published on Jan 21, 2013
Tour Clarks Corvair Parts Upholstery shop and see how upholstery, door panels, top boots &
gaskets are produced.

If you wish to see additional videos of other sections of the Clark's Corvair Parts facilities, click on the following link...

CLARK'S CORVAIR PARTS TOUR — VIDEOS

:link: viewtopic.php?f=81&t=6004
terribleted wrote:Posts: 1285

Using spring clips would be involved. You would have to cut holes in the cardboard panels to clip them into and perhaps modify the slots in the doors to accept the clip (the existing hole minus the plastic nail grommets might be ok. Alignment would be critical and require a lot of test fitting along the way.

I also hate the nail strips but they are not terribly hard to install so that they hit the grommets in the doors. Some test fitting is needed before fully installing the strips. Certainly install the strips before installing the upholstery. Physically installing the nail strips to the cardboard can be annoying. The first thing you must do is make sure there is not any extra paint filling the channel in the strips which makes it hard to get the strips over the cardboard without damage, then put the strips very slightly into the door one at a time and align the panel on the door. Mark where the ends of the strip hit the cardboard. Do this with each strip then install the strips to the cardboard after positioning has been marked for all of them. After doing a couple of these in the past I decided that Clark's fee to get the panels with the strips installed was quite reasonable and I ordered panels with the strips installed thereafter. Never had any fit issues with these preinstalled nail strips.

Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Common and Useful Corvair Websites

Corvair Forum :link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007

:dontknow: I would like to encourage you to expand on your initial post and tell us more about yourself, your Corvair, and your goals for your Corvair. If you can describe your personal assessment of your mechanical skills and abilities, that would help a lot. Members of the Corvair Forum love to be helpful in assisting other Corvair owners with technical support and advice, but it helps a lot if we have some understanding of your technical background and mechanical abilities, Corvair-related knowledge, etc. Helping us to know more about you and your Corvair will help us to write comments to you that are tailored to your needs and experience. Pictures are great too, because pictures of your Corvair will help us to visualize where you are with your Corvair and its condition at the present time. Knowing your location is also useful, because knowing where you live can sometimes suggest possibilities to resolve some issues or problems.

:welcome:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Too Cool! I have the same Clicker they have!! I make gaskets the same way. Now that I am getting into Corvairs, I am restocking my supply of die rule.....
CORSA Member #034095
65 Corvair Corsa "Field Find" 140-4, 4 speed, Hardtop, Telescoping wheel. Rear Speaker
65 Corvair Corsa Automatic 140-4, Coupe
Corventure Dave

Post by Corventure Dave »

I installed the 64 door panels from Clarks in my Senior division qualified Monza Convertible. But instead of the nail strips, I used hook-loop or Velcro
patches. They held perfectly, could not tell I did not use nail strips and made the panels easy to remove again. The nail strips can really hold tight and make it possible to distort he panels when removed.
The Clark interior's are excellent. I highly recommend them.

Corventure Dave
bob63

Post by bob63 »

I want to thank all who responded to my post. Your comments and videos helped me make the decision to order the panels from Clark's. I have been impressed with the quality of their upholstery since I purchased a seat kit from them.
At that time I picked up the kit at Clark's facility and was given a guided tour. The staff was extremely cordial and helpful. I have liked the early models since a friend bought a brand new coupe in 1962. I obtained my '63 monza coupe about a year and a half ago. The interior was a mess but it seemed to run well so I took the plunge. In my 50 some years of acquiring old iron my stable includes: 1929 model A Town Sedan, 1937 Plymouth, 1950 Nash Statesman, 1952 Chevrolet convertible, 1963 Corvair, 1963 MGB and a 1966 MGB. Again, thank you all for your input.

Bob

Return to “Corvair Talk”