Fair Price for 65-67 95HP FC engine

Anything Corvair related
soytrejo

Fair Price for 65-67 95HP FC engine

Post by soytrejo »

Hello, I have a line on the above engine. I have not seen it. I am told the bell housing was removed and up until then ports were being kept covered-so there may now be stuff in the engine. This was from a rolled FC. What important questions should I ask?
My son and I are putting together a 62 Monza with a four speed. We have the engine, but when we bought the vehicle everything was already removed and in boxes, so the engine is torn apart and in 5 boxes.
Does it matter this is going from an FC to a Monza coupe with 4speed?
Is there a recommended engine for a rebuild that my 18 yo will be driving?
Any advice would be appreciated.
1962 Monza 900
Scott V

Re: Fair Price for 65-67 95HP FC engine

Post by Scott V »

there was no '66-7 fcs so it cant be a fc engine. a 65 fc engine is rare cuz very few fcs were made in '65. its prob a car 95hp engine.

bring a 3/4" box wrench so you can inspect the engine - turn the crank - if you can go 2 full turns w/o something stopping the engine the engine is prob ok to rebuild. if you cant do this - the engine may be junk & cost alot to rebuild.

things you will need to change w/ the 95hp. if its a auto trans engine you need to put your bell houseing on it. a fc engine you will need to plug the oil fill tube on the block & install your generator/oil filter houseing.

it would be good to rebuild the engine that came out of your 62 monza. the 60-63 engines have less power but can be more reliable for your 1st rebuild & maybe better for a new driver.........less power........less chance of getting into trouble.

-Scott V.
Bobby65

Re: Fair Price for 65-67 95HP FC engine

Post by Bobby65 »

I found that my 63 monza with a 102hp 145ci was incredibly reliable, and good on gas, i got 20-22mpg in the city, and it was the smoothest running car I have ever owned, It makes slightly less power, but rev's more freely than the later engines, I really liked that engine, I've never driven a vair with a NA 164 ci engine though, so I don't have anything to compare it to, if it is a FC engine it would be a 61-65 if its a 64 or 65 it would be a 164 ci, Idk of anything i would rebuild differently for an 18 y/o you might leave it completley stock so he can't go racing around in it, well quite as easily :evil: , Im 16 and i fooled everyone at my school into thinking my 63 had a lot more power than it did and it was 100 percent stock just tuned well :burnout:
Drive it like you stole it
65 Turbo Monza Coupe
64 monza convertible 4 spd
Grand Ledge, Michigan

Return to “Corvair Talk”